You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


Thursday, May 10th 2012, 1:40pm

You can't tell because the cover is off but that switch is the 2/3/custom day cycle switch.
I think.
My memory could be going.




Wednesday, May 16th 2012, 1:25am

well gents, thank you all for your assistance! here is what happened.

that "valve box" actually ONLY controlled the front yard. there were originally 3 valves in there, but one of them went NOWHERE. ha.

here is a before shot:

here is after:

the front yard is controlled by two valves. replacing all equipment with new stuff fixed my problem. i guess possibly ALL diaphragms (the original three) OR all valve bodies were messed up.... who knows at this point.

the "third" valve on the SE corner of my home controls a portion of the backyard.

I don't know where the fourth valve is that controls the other side of my house. i'm sure i'll find it when i need to :P

now... i guess the only thing i have to do is install a "back flow preventer"? man whoever did this install sucked.

you guys rock, thank you for giving me leads. now any leads on the back flow preventer? :P


Wednesday, May 16th 2012, 8:13am

Before you take any suggestions on a backflow, check requirements in your area. Different areas have different requirements.




Wednesday, May 16th 2012, 11:40am

I live in WA State. It appears my city is pointing to WA Department of Health - Office of Drinking water for backflow information.

looks like the state mandates what's needed. now i'm aimlessly searching through the department of health - office of drinking water website. -_-


Wednesday, May 16th 2012, 11:46am

I did a quick look and it appears they send you a CD as they can't publicly list the approved backflows. "USC does not allow the Department of Health to post the approved
backflow assemblies list online. The Department of Health may distribute
the CD, upon request, to people working in the backflow prevention
industry in Washington State."






Wednesday, May 16th 2012, 11:49am

well at least you know what you're searching for.

doesnt appear there is a way around that, i dont know anybody in the irrigation field. looks like i'll have to pay someone for an install?


Wednesday, May 16th 2012, 12:11pm

I just took a look at your picture of your 'backflow'.
Don't see why you could not install your own PVB if they allow one.
I don't know of any state that doesn't and they are by far the most common.
Your vertical pipes are going to be too close together. That could make for some interesting changes in the piping.
All things being equal (you have parts, no surprises under ground, right tools, etc.) this would take you less than an hour to do. You probably need to raise the new one also. Should be 1' above highest head.

Again, deferring to any local restrictions.




Wednesday, May 16th 2012, 12:21pm

i'm gonna call a local guy and talk with them about what's going on, see what he has to say and all that jazz.

really pisses me off when people to crappy work. oh well, tis life i guess.

thanks for your help gator, you da man.


Supreme Member

Posts: 4,961

Location: Metro NYC


Wednesday, May 16th 2012, 1:20pm

Washington State uses toxic-rated backflow devices in their current building code. They used to be satisfied with double check valve assemblies, but not any more.

Supposedly, they had a list of devices they no longer considered trustworthy, despite their having standard agency approvals.


Wednesday, May 16th 2012, 2:30pm

It's funny.
Seattle's website says they accept almost anything.
Then they throw in a 'gotcha'.
"Several types of backflow preventers are available:

  • Air gaps (AG)
  • Reduced pressure backflow assemblies (RPBA)
  • Double check valve assemblies (DCVA)
  • Pressure vacuum breaker assemblies (PVB)
  • Atmospheric vacuum breakers (AVB)

What type do I need?

The assembly you need is determined by the hazard. Seattle Public Utilities’ staff makes the determination of what type of device is acceptable for each specific installation. "

The 'gotcha':" The backflow preventer you choose must be listed on the Washington State
Department of Health's Approved Backflow Prevention Assembly List."

Only available on CD, not downloadable. I ordered one but it's 4 to 6 weeks delivery, as usual.
I've always wondered what those people do in the first 4 weeks. Nap? Take vacation? I dunno...

Similar threads

Rate this thread