You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 2nd 2012, 8:25pm

I did not receive an e-mail.

You mentioned "floor" which makes me presume your pump is indoors? I would definitely install these items outdoors. The relief valve, if ever activated, will expel massive amts. of water. The filter can be installed indoors if absolutely necessary, but best if outdoors.

I would go with the 2" filter, for the simple reason of more time between cleanings. You would need reducer bushings to go from 1.5" to the 2" filter. Installing at a slight angle is fine.

Adjustable Pressure Relief Valve

NABRIL

Thursday, May 3rd 2012, 8:24am

by "floor", i referred to a concrete slab that sits under the pumps (pool and sprinkler). With only 14 inches of room, I will have to install the filter at an angle. I have Vu Flow's number to call them to ask if an angled installation will be ok.

I am afraid that "slight" angle may end up being in the 45 degree range.

Vu Flow told me it should be ok as long as I dont point it upward. Duh.

I did not receive an e-mail.

You mentioned "floor" which makes me presume your pump is indoors? I would definitely install these items outdoors. The relief valve, if ever activated, will expel massive amts. of water. The filter can be installed indoors if absolutely necessary, but best if outdoors.

I would go with the 2" filter, for the simple reason of more time between cleanings. You would need reducer bushings to go from 1.5" to the 2" filter. Installing at a slight angle is fine.

Adjustable Pressure Relief Valve

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 3rd 2012, 7:15pm

Good luck!
Advice: When installing the filter, give yourself enough room from the bottom of the filter to the floor, so you can unscrew the clear tube to gain access to the filter screen.

NABRIL

Monday, June 25th 2012, 8:33am

Hey central

sorry to bug about this again.

After much online searching for the filter an dseeing the same prices (more or less), I came across one at my local Home Depot for a lot less. Amazing.

I will be installing it very soon, but I am afraid of cutting that pipe. It is easy to install pipe when things arent glued and connected. On one end of this pipe is the pump, on the other end is the zone valve with 4 pipes heading into the ground. So I have little room to push and flex in either direction to make a tight fit once I cut. I've searched for youtube videos and others to learn how to do this, but it is an important cut that I want to do properly.

I see that the zone valve has a screw connector that I can probably unscrew so that I can cut, glue, and make sure all fits correctly. I will leave that as a last option. However, since I have to put in the pressure relief valve, the filter, and another ball valve, I might as well unscrew that screw conncetor from that end and rework.

Any suggestions from you?

Thank you

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 25th 2012, 12:02pm

Post some photos of the existing setup - you are maybe making this seem more difficult than it has to be - don't forget that there are unions you can add to the plumbing

NABRIL

Monday, June 25th 2012, 12:22pm

perhaps I am. I complicate things sometimes, but I just want to do this right, that is all.

Also--what about pressure loss? On the back of the box is a graph basically showing that as flow rate in gpm goes up, so does psi loss. But I dont know my gpm, and either way, the loss is guaranteed (according to the graph).
NABRIL has attached the following file:
  • pump.jpg (13.31 kB - 49 times downloaded - Last download: Jan 1st 2013, 4:00pm)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "NABRIL" (Jun 25th 2012, 1:08pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 25th 2012, 1:21pm

Since you were concerned about orienting the strainer, the obvious solution is to redo all the outlet plumbing on the pump. Then it can accommodate the strainer with plenty of room. By the way, what is the mesh of the strainer?

NABRIL

Monday, June 25th 2012, 1:31pm

i wasnt concerned about orienting it, I am concerned as to how to cut the existing pipe to add the strainer, and to do so correctly so that it is glued snug and tight. SInce I want to add 3 things: pressure valve, strainer, and another ball valve, I might as well cut after the existing valve, and replace the rest.

the mesh is 60.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 25th 2012, 2:11pm

If you want the best performance, you take it down to the pump itself, and start over. Save nothing on the outlet side. A 60-mesh screen may not protect the zone valves. Better is 100 mesh.

NABRIL

Monday, June 25th 2012, 2:14pm

If you want the best performance, you take it down to the pump itself, and start over. Save nothing on the outlet side. A 60-mesh screen may not protect the zone valves. Better is 100 mesh.

thank you Boots

I am sorry, but I didnt understand your reply. Are you telling me to get a different pump? Or to remove my existing pipe down to the pipe (on the outlet side), and start over?

Rate this thread