You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rocky

Monday, February 27th 2012, 4:19pm

System malfunction

Hi All, I have a problem that has stumped the so called experts where I live. I have 6 valves, with each valve operating certain sprinklers. About two months ago, when #2 would come on, #5 would also come on and start leaking at the valve. All sprinklers on #2 and #5 would come one at the same time. When they finished and #5 comes on later, that is the only sprinklers that work. Two weeks ago, when #2 came on, #4 and #5 would also come on. This happens both when the controller operates the valves as well as when I turn on #2 manually. The answer from one expert was that somewhere they are connected by a T or something. None of the sprinklers have been repaired, replaced or even dug up. This just started happening. Again, when operated manually at the valve, three valves come on when #2 is turned on. The rest operate normally. Both #4 and #5 leak now. HELP.

mrfixit

Monday, February 27th 2012, 4:31pm

Odd indeed. The fact that three valves come on at once when you operate a single valve manually would make me think there's a problem with the valves themselves. Repair, replace or adjust them is my bet. What make/model anti-syphon valves do you have? Or a picture will do.
Do you have a master valve?

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Monday, February 27th 2012, 10:42pm

I'm thinking along the same thing as fix it.

Either the valves are failing or Zone #2 has a pipe break/ leak.

The valves require a certain amount of water pressure to hold them closed.

It doesn't happen to often but it's possible to have the other valves open up due to lack of pressure of the sudden inrush of flow when opening up #2. This somewhat leads to me thinking that on #2 there is a break/ leak somewhere on the zone that is large enough to cause this kind of situation to happen.. As well when you open up #4 and #5 manually by them selves they work properly.

What kind of back flow preventor do you have?

mrfixit

Tuesday, February 28th 2012, 3:13am

Are you sure the valve you're calling valve number 2 isn't really the master valve?

rocky

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 11:45am

Not sure what's wrong

Thanks for the input. I am not sure what anti-syphon is on this system or if I even have one. I have very limited knowledge about this type of thing and the system was installed when I moved in. I do know that when I turn on #2, #4 and 5 start making a noise and leak. They only do this when #2 comes on (both by controller and manually). I will get the data of type of system I have but I think it is all rainbird. When these are on, #2 seems to work well but there is lower pressure on #4 and 5.

mrfixit

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 1:07pm

I assumed you have anti-syphon valves because of how you described the leak. The Rainbird Anti-syphon valves are famous for making a squeeling noise even when they're brand new. That's the reason I wont install them by choice. Make sure the solenoids are snug on valves 4 and 5. Maybe they're out of adjustment. Turn them clockwise to tighten them. Snug not tight.

rocky

Thursday, March 1st 2012, 8:39am

Not sure what's wrong

Ok, checked the system. It has watermaster valves and a rain bird controller. One thing the expert stated was that the valves or controller could not be bad due to the fact that when I manually turn on #2, 4 and 5 come on. He stated that if it was the valves, they would not do this in the manual mode. He also stated the valves were good due to turning on 4 or 5 manually worked correctly. He stated that they pipes from the valves have to be tied together with either a elbo or t connector. I assured him they were not since I have not worked on any of these since moving into the house in 07.

rocky

Thursday, March 1st 2012, 8:43am

not sure what's wrong

I checked the solenoids and they are snug on all the valves. Yes, I must have a rain bird anti syphon on my system. When they come on, there is a squeeling noise that soon goes away after the sprinklers start. One this is that when 2, 4 and 5 are on, 4 and 5 make a bumping noise (best way I can explain it). Only does that when 2 is on.

mrfixit

Thursday, March 1st 2012, 12:56pm

Do me a favor and don't call this guy an "expert" anymore. He's obviously not. I really wish I could stop by your place and solve this for you. I love it when the home owner tells me the experts couldn't figure it out.
If the pipes were hooked together then why doesn't number 2 come on when you turn on valve number 4 or 5?
Or why doesn't 4 come on when you run 5 and so on. Say duh.
You don't necessarily have a Rainbird valve. Most valves can squeel. Squeeling usually means there's a problem. It's usually the diaphragm. Rainbird's the exception.
I like what Mitch said about valve number 2 possibly demanding too much water on the system so that valves 4 and 5 have a problem staying shut off. The pounding is due to this.
Replace valves 4 and 5.
If you need confirmation as to what's going on, you could cut the front pipe of valves 4 and 5 and see what direction the water's coming from. You'll need to cut them to replace the valves anyway.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 1st 2012, 2:39pm

there is a point where you break out the checkbook and hire a pro

Rate this thread