You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Posts: 327

Location: Northern New Jersey

1

Thursday, February 23rd 2012, 12:36pm

Inserting PE into barbed fittings

I remember last Spring it was difficult in cool temperatures. Any techniques out there that are helpful?

seansy59

Advanced Member

Posts: 93

Location: NJ, USA

2

Thursday, February 23rd 2012, 6:02pm

I used a hair dryer on a few of mine before the hot summer days came. The only problem I had with that was running the power out to where I needed it. Can't run those energy hogs on a long extension cord without either blowing a fuse/breaker, or melting the cord itself.
Blow torch also. Be careful not to melt the pipe though or you'll warp it, or make it weak. You don't want to put it too close to the pipe.
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Posts: 327

Location: Northern New Jersey

3

Friday, February 24th 2012, 8:04am

I think I'll try the hairdryer, thanks for the tip.

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Posts: 67

Location: South Jersey

4

Friday, February 24th 2012, 11:58am

Propane torch with the click ignitor. I would evenly heat 2 or 3 ends at a fitting, slip them on, let them cool, and then crimp the clamps. They don't need much heat, maybe only a few seconds. If you overheat you can weaken the plastic too much and it will kink or twist. On a hot day in the sun you don't even need a torch. Funny pipe I didn't heat at all.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Posts: 327

Location: Northern New Jersey

5

Friday, February 24th 2012, 2:12pm

Well, I have propane with the click lighter. If the hairdryer doesn't work out, maybe I'll try it.

grey

Advanced Member

Posts: 86

Location: Eastern WA

6

Friday, February 24th 2012, 4:37pm

There is danger of overheating pipe with torch especially if you don't do it on a regular basis. It might fail later on. I used KY Jelly and a mallet.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Posts: 327

Location: Northern New Jersey

7

Saturday, February 25th 2012, 8:43am

I'm hoping the hairdryer works.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Posts: 93

Location: NJ, USA

8

Monday, February 27th 2012, 5:49pm

I'm hoping the hairdryer works.

When you use the hairdryer, make sure you use at least a minimum #14 gauge extension cord. If it is over 25ft, then use a #12 gauge.
I tried a #16 gauge cord only 25ft away from the outlet, and the plug and wire melted on my cord. The #14 gauge just got very warm at 25ft. Over that, the voltage got too low for it to work, and everything overheated and the breaker tripped.
I used a #12 gauge extension cord, 50ft away, and it stayed cool, and ran fine. They are a bit pricey in the store, but worth it for many other powertools. You'd be surprised at how well your tools would run on a #12 gauge, compared to a #16 gauge. Big difference in power, and alot less strain on the motor.
Experienced it, went through it, almost burnt up the house. :cursing:
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Posts: 327

Location: Northern New Jersey

9

Tuesday, February 28th 2012, 6:35am

Thanks. I use use my best extention.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Posts: 327

Location: Northern New Jersey

10

Sunday, March 11th 2012, 1:29pm

As I couldn't use The hairdryer the propane torch worked great. Thanks for the help.

Rate this thread