You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, September 24th 2011, 6:18pm

Can't get water out to BPV

Hello,
I posted here a while ago about a problem I had after a lightning strike, and believe it or not, I've been troubleshooting this thing like the rank amateur I am ever since July. Today I realized I am not getting water out to the BPV on the side of my house. I live in a standard, 15-year-old residential neighborhood, if that helps.

So, I realized today that I have water at the main shut-off valve in my basement, water at the sprinkler shut-off valve a couple of feet from there and water at whatever this black thing is a couple of feet away from that (see attachment). I know that because I can turn the little check valves on each of these things and water does come out.

I don't know what this black thing on the wall is but I *think* it must be keeping the water from reaching my BPV, since it's the last part I can find in my basement before the pipe reaches the outdoors. Just to explain a different way, this is what I have mapped out so far:

Water Main (OK) ---> Sprinkler shut-off valve (OK) ---> Black thing I can't identify (OK coming into it at least, not sure about leaving it) ---> the BPV (FebCo 765)outside (no water)

Does this make any sense? Can someone tell me what this and what it is supposed to do, please?

Thanks!
whatsavalve has attached the following file:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "whatsavalve" (Sep 24th 2011, 6:29pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, September 24th 2011, 7:12pm

"black thing" is an electric valve - in the basement, it would serve as a master valve for the system

Sunday, September 25th 2011, 11:37am

Thanks, Web Boots. So it can stop the flow of the water then. That's what I was suspecting but wanted to be sure. Now I think I need to do some testing with the wires there to see what controls the valve. I need to find out if this valve is what's keeping the water from reaching the BPV outdoors.

One other question though: Could this sort of valve be damaged by lightning? (That was my original problem going back to July) If so, can I replace just the solenoid on there or do I need to buy whole new master valve?

Thanks again!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 25th 2011, 3:56pm

Start by assuming everything is mechanically functional - that leaves you checking things electrical. Lightning kills controllers and fries wiring and solenoids.

Monday, September 26th 2011, 12:49pm

Fixed!

Thanks again. I found that the wire for the master valve was just not connected to my new controller. I got that sorted out and then the water started flowing to the valves. They are still working so now my irrigation system is fully functional again.

If it helps anyone else, I found this page informative on the subject of what a master valve does:

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/faq/master-valve.htm

Rate this thread