You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


Active Member

Posts: 25

Location: Austin Tx.


Friday, July 15th 2011, 9:03pm

Wrong Transformer?

Ok...posted this in the wrong section earlier...scuse me!...

New Total Control Controller reads "Master Valve"

I fried the circuit board (or thats what irritrol said) on my old James Hardie controller, so I sent off for a refurbished Total Control Controller w/ surge protection.

Wired it up, and now no water, and "Master Valve" is displayed on the controller. There was no master valve wire on the old controller, just a VC, so I dont know what the dealio is. Its not saying "Short", and then a station number, so does that mean that all of the stations are shorted out?

Im a newb when it comes to irrigation systems. I opened up the covers in the yard, but to be honest, it just looks like a jumble of wires attached to greasy black tampons....HAHA

Update: Due to a long story (not worth going into), I tried to supply power to the controller w/ a generic transformer, rather than the transformer that was used previously.

The Generic replacement is 24Vac, but its only rated at 650 MA, and the old one was 1250 MA.

Could this be the problem? Most of the posts on the net Ive found stress the importance of voltage, not amperage....


Supreme Member

Posts: 5,331

Location: Metro NYC


Friday, July 15th 2011, 11:06pm

Transformers can also be rated in Volt-Amps, a term that takes phase shifts into account - if you only run one zone valve, and no master valve, a lower-power transformer is okay.

It must, however, be a Class 2 signal transformer like the original was. This is not negotiable.

Rate this thread