You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 24th 2003, 2:48am

Murphy
Just curious about why you chose anti siphon valves?
Thanks,

Pete

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 24th 2003, 4:48pm

i was wondering the same as well.....if it is required then obviously you have to use them, but if they are not i would use the Irritrol 2400T inround (inline)valve
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

Murphy

Sunday, August 24th 2003, 6:56pm

Local water district requires anti-siphon on all hose bibs and sprinkler lines. I suppose I could have used one backflow preventer and in-line valves instead. I figured blowing the system out in the winter would be easier using above-ground anti-siphon valves. I will just remove the valves and attach adapter for air hose.

RVLI

Supreme Member

Monday, August 25th 2003, 3:10am

Make it easier yet to blow out your system. In the basement, about a foot from your shut-off valve, add a tee and a boiler drain so you can hook up the air compressor to the boiler drain and drain out the mainline at the same time.

I also recommend you have a professional blow out your system for you. It's usually too big for a homeowner to do themselves.

Murphy

Monday, August 25th 2003, 6:32am

What is a "boiler drain?"

I was going to put a blow out connector in the basement like I have on my house now. But, someone told me if you blow out BEFORE the anti-siphon valve you can have contaminants, like compressor oil, get back into the house supply when you open the main valve in the spring.

Is this right?

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, August 25th 2003, 8:39am

A boiler drain looks like an out door faucet that you connect your hose to.

With regards to contaminants that sounds correct because you are doing this up stream of your back flow prevention devise. But I must say that this is how my house is set up.
Thanks,

Pete

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Monday, August 25th 2003, 9:26am

Yes you are correct about the contaminents..........i would install a boilder drain, to drain the pipes in the basement, and going to the antisiphon, and blow out the system after the valves,,,,due to the backflow......to make it easy install a tee with a threaded (1/2") cap on the down pipe after the antisiphon valve, and move the compressor from zoneto zone to blow it out. (its alot of work, but it makes it easy than removing the valve)
Thanks
Ray

Murphy

Monday, August 25th 2003, 10:52am

Sounds good to me.

Thanks.

RVLI

Supreme Member

Monday, August 25th 2003, 11:33am

Nevermind this post the pictures I posted didn't work.

[8D]

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Monday, August 25th 2003, 12:29pm

oo[:I][:o)]
Thanks
Ray

Rate this thread