You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.




Saturday, August 7th 2010, 12:51pm

Broken Risers in Pipe

I was hoping someone can suggest a tool or some way to remove a broken riser that's still threaded into my pipe. I have one of those modular risers that you can break off at custom lengths. I accidentally broke off the riser just above the end of the pipe threading. The riser is nearly flush with the pipe so I can't grip it to unscrew it out of the pipe. Any help with this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.


Supreme Member

Posts: 482

Location: Houston, Texas


Saturday, August 7th 2010, 2:23pm

There is a specific tool for this.
I think it is called a nipple extractor. It usually has a red handle and looks like a T with the top being red and the lower part has barbs on the bottom of it.

Any irrigation supply house should have it.

Good Luck

:thumbup: :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:
LI0006121, BPAT0011021, CI0009500



Posts: 2,316

Location: USA


Saturday, August 7th 2010, 5:15pm

A lot of times the tools they sell don't work well on a marlex nipple. I do have a tool that works almost everytime even if it's screwed into a galvanized fitting and broke off but you wont be able to buy one. So what you can do is use a tiny screwdriver and a hammer. The marlex is soft and will come out fairly easily. Just be careful of the threads on the fitting.

Rate this thread