You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


Supreme Member


Friday, June 25th 2010, 11:03am

Assuming you can find replacement valves that have the same spacing (for the vertical pipe) as the existing ones, you can do this.

If you get a contractor to do it, he's just going to do what MrFixIt is telling you to do.

All you need is either a PVC Pipe cutter (about a $15 tool that is basically a combination of a utility knife blace and ratchet pliers) for pipes upto 1-1/4", or a simple hack saw for larger pipes and basically cut the pipes just below the existing valves. (If a hack saw is used, you might need some files and/or sand paper to smooth rough edges)

Next, you just have to get the right fittings to connect the new valve to the cut pipes, connect the fittings to the valve and glue fittings to the pipe. The "gluing" process is pretty simple... you wipe the pipe with primer, let if dry, add the glue, and connect (we get get you more exact detailed instruction, it's a process that is WAY much simpler to learn than soldering copper pipe). All it takes is a touch of practice.


New Member


Friday, June 25th 2010, 2:03pm

Hiring A Professional

It know is sounds simple, but I have never done something like this myself. I am afraid if I try it and mess it up, I will make it worse. Like you said it takes "practice" and I don't want to practice on my own property. Thanks to all of you for help and advice.

Similar threads

Rate this thread