You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


Thursday, August 7th 2008, 11:19am

Design Question. Adding a lower pressure line up my deck to water the Mrs. haning plants

Hello all,

New to the site and to sprinkler systems. My resume includes moving a couple sprinkler lines, replacing a few heads, and replacing my controller box, but willing to take on anything with the right advice.

I currently have a Hunter ICC 32 zone with room, would like to add a zone (soup to nuts) off my main line that will water the Mrs haning plants. Called sprinkler warehouse and they mentioned contacting one of their suppliers, but have seen some posts regarding my topic, but not as specific as I would hope. I assume this will involve tapping into the main line with a valve, adding some type of pressure reducer, and then running a smaller gauge pipe up my deck to each of the flower pots?

Does anyone have any pratical knowledge they could share, or are aware of a post that already addresses this?



Advanced Member

Posts: 53

Location: Eagan, Mn


Thursday, August 7th 2008, 1:34pm

Toro installation guide pages 16-21 on drip irrigation may help.


Advanced Member

Posts: 88

Location: Seattle Area


Thursday, August 7th 2008, 7:53pm

Installing a container zone

Great idea. I have seperate zones for my containers. There higher water demands allow me to water them and not overwater other plants in the area.

You can do it. It would be nice, that if along with that 32 zone clock, the installer put some extra (unused wires )next to the mainline. If not, there are battery operated valves that will work well.

Suggest you determined the flow you will be using on this zone. Some valves will not function properly at low flow rate (they don't close). Manufactures website specify the flow rate minimum and maximum for their valves. A zone with just a few plants, may not have a very high flow rate.

A pressure regulator is also flow dependent. Most work well at low flows, but IF you are planning a very large drip zone ( Over 8/gal/min = 480 Gal/hr), suggest you look at the flow rates. I think DIG and Rainbird are offered by, and they list flow rates for valves and PRV's. Rainbird offers a all ini one, - valve, filter and PRV in a nice compact unit that fits in a 10 inch circular valve can. Sprinklerwarehouse has them. (I am not paid to promote them, but unless you have access to a "to the trade" distributer, you will have troble finding elsewhere)

You didn't mention a filter. In low volume irrigation, instead of real estates "location, location, location" - it is "Filtration, Filtration, Filtration" A screen (wye) filter should be installed before the PRV. Pressure regulators are notrious for failure secondary to debrie collection. Depending on emitters you will be useing. Suggest you try the shrubbler type, a they are higher flow, larger water streams, and can cover a large pots surfface. They dont need "fine" filtration. 100 mesh should suffice. The shrubbler type of emitters are good for large pots, and I personally like short pieces of drip-along type of 1/4 inch on top of other pots. They have emitters spaced at 6 or 12 inches, and drip at 1/2 gal/hour. Depending on pot, plant size, plants water need, and frequency of irrigation, I put varying amount of the line in the pot. Goof plug in the end on short pieces, but usuall loop it around plants stem and join each end to the feeder line with a barbed "T". These are turbulent flow emitters built into the 1/4 inch line, and are clog resistent.

FYI, I use 150 or 200 mesh on all my drip installation. 200 if they are going to use sprayheads, which other than the shrubbler type I discourage (sprays too fine = evaporative loss). 150 works well with 1 GPH PC drippers. PC means pressure compensated, and with containers at iffeerent heights and sizes, sometime individual drippers work bes. Again, I use 1/gph, and will use "T's" to place the required number over the pots mediuims surface. I use these in containers and will hang them from the overhead to water hanging baskets.

Nice tghing do for your wife. She will think fondly of you each times she sees her unused watering cans.

Need more info? let me know. Jeff


Supreme Member

Posts: 482

Location: Houston, Texas


Thursday, August 7th 2008, 8:32pm

Low volume Jeff covered it pretty well. My only word or caution is what goes up will eventually come down. Only a thought over time.

It sounds like a good project.

:thumbup: :thumbsup:
LI0006121, BPAT0011021, CI0009500

Similar threads

Rate this thread