You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

doublephd

Starting Member

Tuesday, April 30th 2019, 6:32pm

Deciding number of zones

Hi,

I am new to irrigation systems and I am trying to choose between 2 quotes for an irrigation system.

Quote 1: 5 zones,/Rainbird/13 rotary/12 fixed
Quote 2: 4 Zones, /Hunter/8 Rotary/10 Mist Head

My yard is small. Less than 0.1 acre.

Do I really need 5 zones ? Any thoughts the configurations themselves ?

Thanks

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "doublephd" (Apr 30th 2019, 6:59pm)

mrfixit

Tuesday, April 30th 2019, 9:21pm

It's impossible to tell from here. I can't see your yard or your design. I can't see the stats. Water pressure and flow rate. I don't normally design systems. I just repair them. So I'm the guy who sees where the installer made his mistakes.
What I do know is that I'm not a fan of the Hunter MP Rotators. Some people swear by them.

Sprinklers are supposed to get head to head coverage. Which design is doing that?

Is the second guy cutting too many corners? Maybe he's trying to be as water conservative as possible.

How far apart are the sprinklers? Is he using 30 foot MP's? Supposing you don't like the MP's. Now you're stuck with sprinklers that are 30 feet apart and possibly nothing else will work given the water pressure.

I guess I'm biased. I'd use the Rainbird 100 times out of 100 over the MP's.

Here's what I'd put in my yard. Hunter timer. Irritrol valves. Either 2711APR for above ground or 2500 for below ground. And Rainbird brand sprinklers. I don't like Rainbird VANS or SAMS though. I'd go with Hunter on those. I have my reasons. If you're stuck between Rainbird and Hunter valves, go with the Hunter.

I've complicated things for you. I'm just not a fan of complete systems of one brand. I work with the stuff everyday.

Rate this thread