You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

TI837

Thursday, April 25th 2019, 2:18pm

Backflow Preventer question

So my backflow preventer is currently connected to the faucet but since the faucet is leaking and is only running through a 1/2" pipe, I'm planning to tap into the main line and running a 3/4" pipe straight outside into the backflow. The issue is the area were i can tap into to run the pipe outside is mostly pex pipe because i just renovated the house a few years ago, but when i went onto the shark bite forum, it states that pex pipe is not recommended to be outside due to the UV light. I was thinking of putting a connection from pex to galvanized steel since they sell threaded galvanized but people say to avoid using galvanized as they corrode. what is my best option?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 27th 2019, 9:04am

Type L copper pipe (technically it's "hard tubing" but almost no one calls it that) - Sharkbite fittings work with it

JadedMarxist

Wednesday, May 1st 2019, 9:07pm

I would concur. I run pex thru the house for ease of installation. Them female adapter L copper thru the wall. And l copper to the backflow depending what style of backflow and your local regs. I try to stay away from pvb's as they are limited by highest head height and leak during start up. I usually just stick to dcva now for the best protection to our drinking water and basically any application. Those crappy cheap single check don't meet codes here no more. With the pex pipe it's great because the more physical connections in any pipe are more places for the pipe to fail like having to install 5 or 7 different fittings.
Certified tech, and wisp. Servicing multi million dollar portfolio

JadedMarxist

Wednesday, May 1st 2019, 9:14pm

One more thing L copper is used for indoor part of the plumbing. You will want to use k copper for outside plumbing and buried plumbing. Building codes restrict us from using l copper outside.
Certified tech, and wisp. Servicing multi million dollar portfolio