You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Alejandro199

Unregistered

Friday, April 12th 2019, 5:11pm

What size is my sprinkler pipe?

Hello,

I did something dumb while digging a hole to remove an old fencepost and made a couple holes in a pair of sprinkler lines that were running near there. Since there's a couple holes in a few spots, I decided to just cut out a small section and replace it. I took the piece with me to Lowe's, and they have stuff in 1/2", 3/4" and 1". My pipe was somewhere between 3/4" and 1", the 3/4 barbed fittings were too loose and the 1" stuff didn't fit at all. I've done some searching online and I can't find anything else. I did find this site though.

Could it maybe be in metric? Or some other less popular size? I measured it with some calipers and I got .908 inches ID and 1.072 for OD.

Thanks for your help.
Thanks for your help.

mrfixit

Saturday, April 13th 2019, 1:11am

That sounds like drip line to me? It's black, thin and flexible? Could be a different color I suppose.
Take it to an irrigation supply store like, Ewing, Site One, John Deere, etc.. They'll know for sure.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 13th 2019, 8:35am

The caliper measurements would fit one-inch CTS poly tubing. CTS poly tubing has use today outside of the lawn sprinkler trade. In years long gone by, there was a company selling one-inch CTS poly as their exclusive 7/8-inch poly tubing, along with proprietary compression fittings to join it together.

From a store like Lowes or Home Depot, the only likely means of connecting to the one-inch CTS poly would be by way of one-inch PEX fittings, and a worm gear clamp torqued as hard as you can manage. In the trades that use the CTS poly, heavy-duty compression fittings are employed, along with a 'stiffener' insert for the poly, to give the fitting something to work against.

Possibly the only thing from the lawn sprinkler trade that can work with this special tubing is a barbed insert adapter from Spears, part number 1429-1315

Alejandro199

Unregistered

Saturday, April 13th 2019, 5:39pm

That sounds like drip line to me? It's black, thin and flexible? Could be a different color I suppose.
Take it to an irrigation supply store like, Ewing, Site One, John Deere, etc.. They'll know for sure.
No, it's a little flexible but not really. And it's supposed to hold pressure.

The caliper measurements would fit one-inch CTS poly tubing. CTS poly tubing has use today outside of the lawn sprinkler trade. In years long gone by, there was a company selling one-inch CTS poly as their exclusive 7/8-inch poly tubing, along with proprietary compression fittings to join it together.

From a store like Lowes or Home Depot, the only likely means of connecting to the one-inch CTS poly would be by way of one-inch PEX fittings, and a worm gear clamp torqued as hard as you can manage. In the trades that use the CTS poly, heavy-duty compression fittings are employed, along with a 'stiffener' insert for the poly, to give the fitting something to work against.

Possibly the only thing from the lawn sprinkler trade that can work with this special tubing is a barbed insert adapter from Spears, part number 1429-1315

Thanks! I'll take a look at that. I also did more looking, and maybe it could be Class 200? The ID and OD are fairly close for 3/4 class 200.

It looks like I will have to find if there is an irrigation supply nearby. I've never really done any shopping of that kind of stuff outside of HD and Lowe's.

As far as years gone by, my house was built in, 1970 but I'm not sure when the sprinklers were put in.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 14th 2019, 5:05pm

the company selling the one-inch CTS poly was Rain Jet - if your system has any Rain Jet heads, you will probably need those special barbed insert couplings

Rate this thread