You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DawknessTheDuck

Starting Member

Wednesday, April 3rd 2019, 7:37am

Rain Bird RC-7Bi

Hello All!

Recently I've noticed that my controller will not change zones by itself BUT it does keep the accurate time and it will turn on no problem but only run in Zone 1 if I don't manually change it. I've read that I might need a new motor or is it better just to get a whole new controller?

mrfixit

Wednesday, April 3rd 2019, 10:52am

It's been about 15 years since I've repaired an RC. It seems like to me that it's not a motor issue. The wheel does advance on it's own when it's time to water station 1. So the advancing motor's good. It sounds more like a switch that tells the wheel to advance. You might be able to take the panel off and click the switch manually to see if it advances. I'm not sure.

I used to be mr repair every timer I could. But that just caused me problems with my remote. Hooking my remote up to an RC is a pain in the butt. I prefer to just replace the unit with a Hunter brand controller. If I'm going to be servicing that yard for years, it will pay for itself just in in not having to walk back n forth to the timer.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 3rd 2019, 1:05pm

An RC series controller with your symptoms needs a replacement Rapid Advance motor #625010 - they are out of production, but a used one can occasionally be had from eBay

mrfixit

Wednesday, April 3rd 2019, 11:38pm

An RC series controller with your symptoms needs a replacement Rapid Advance motor #625010 - they are out of production, but a used one can occasionally be had from eBay

What tells the motor to advance? It works because it advances to number 1.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, April 5th 2019, 10:43am

What tells the motor to advance? It works because it advances to number 1.

Oh yeah. I was fixated on the controller keeping time, which means the slow motor is good. Outside of the motors, only the microswitch that toggles between motors is a common issue on this sort of controller. In these kinds of controllers, here is a possibility of weird behavior that can be attributed to poor electrical continuity in the rotary switch contacts. Since the RC series went to a PC board switch assembly, faulty contacts aren't cleanable like on conventional rotary switch wafers.

New answer - ^^ "What he said, rip it out"

Rate this thread