You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

surf4mile

Starting Member

Friday, March 1st 2019, 9:09am

filter to use when siphoning from a pond

I am forced to use my pond until my new well is ready. I have a clean spring that feeds my irrigation system. I have six 2500 gallon storage containers I need to fill with the spring and pond. I cannot afford to contaminate the water in tanks from the spring or pond (possible debris, snails, frogs, algae, etc) over fear of plugging drip emitters. Can you recommend a good in line filtration system that is affordable that will serve my needs (prefer a cleanable filter since it may need to be cleaned frequently)? The current lines from an old well and spring are 2" PVC. The pond holds around 50,000 gallons and is spring fed until around the end of June
I did see a post and I know Oase Bio Clear 10 is an option, but ideally there may be a transfer pump, gasoline powered with a built in filtration system since I also need a pump. The lift will be around 20 ft
The spring is above the pond, I can take the pond out of the mix, but the spring only holds 2500 gallons with a refresh rate of around 2 gallons per minute. Either way I would like to put an inline filter in the main line to ensure when I replace the drip line I an assured of a clean water source that will not plug emitters

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "surf4mile" (Mar 2nd 2019, 11:00am)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, March 1st 2019, 10:01am

Agricultural filtration would be placed downstream of a pump feeding the emitters. They have units that can automatically switch between filters and backwash clogged screens. They cost serious money, but they are intended for a serious application.

As the spring as a water source, is it beneath the surface of the pond? Taking the pond out of the supply chain would simplify things as far as cleanliness goes. For a pond as water source, you have to screen the inlet. You can buy simple inlet strainers made from pipe with slots cut in it and screening applied.

Rate this thread