You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

PerryNZ

Saturday, February 23rd 2019, 9:11pm

Design and Tree Roots - R & M

A few weeks back, an-installed-long-ago PGP Ultra stopped working. I needed a jack hammer to get to the root of the problem. And how. (Boy! Did I sweat on that machine, even though it was early morning)

Invading [and expanding] trees roots had prised the pipe right off the sprinkler inlet connection. I could see the problem recurring in future, so I built a box from ground-treated lumber, mounting the PGP Ultra on the side wall. My reasoning being that tree roots can't grow through air. I hope!

Perhaps this sort of approach is a solution [time-consuming and all] to an installation where trees are not too far away? Or will be around the sprinkler, one day?

Two views before installing the box. Lots of severed roots visible.

Box installation completed. Even though I'd replaced the gland, slight leakage can still be seen. The sort of leakage that attracts tree roots!

. . . with top cover

Rate this thread