You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, October 15th 2018, 6:39pm

New meter PSI and GPM

Im wanting to submit my plans to Rainbird but Im unsure what I should do for PSI and GPM. Ill be installing a new meter which isn't in yet. How would I go about getting accurate info from the new meter when its installed? All I know is that it'd be a one inch meter.

Friday, October 19th 2018, 3:24pm

Anyone have any ideas they can lend? Rainbird is needing GPM and PSI. When I get the meter installed, can I just record the PSI and GPM at the meter? They want to know the service line size also, Is it ok just to give them the size I choose - for example 1"?

I think these design teams are more geared for t'ing off the water supply line to your home. For installing a new meter for the irrigation system it doesn't make sense.

pass1

Friday, October 19th 2018, 11:24pm

Knowing the size of the service line from the city to the home
Is necessary so that you can determine how much flow you can
Safely use. The length of the service line is also needed so that
Pressure loss from the street to the house can be determined at
Your expected flow rate

pass1

Friday, October 19th 2018, 11:28pm

You normally don't get to choose your service line size. Unless this is
A home that is under construction

Sunday, October 21st 2018, 8:38am

Thank you for the reply. The reason why I mentioned that about the service line is because its a new meter. There is no service line. Im just having a hard time with Rain Bird because clearly the tech support they have there haven't installed an irrigation system.

I feel like the only person on earth that is installing a new water meter for the irrigation system...LOL!!!! Rain Bird is like UMMMM...We need the service line size and type, GPM, and PSI. ITS A NEW METER I HAD INSTALLED THERE IS NO SERVICE LINE YET!!! LOL. UHHHHH

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, October 21st 2018, 10:40am

There are service lines and there are service lines. Since Rain Bird is in California, it might be natural for them to assume that the new water service is feeding a curbside meter pit. Other parts of the US might only have meters in basements, and that is where a service line question comes into play. Home is so far from the water main, so a service line of known length and size will figure into pressure loss calculations.

And really, who cares. Get the meter installed and make your system connection. Then do your own flow-and-pressure testing. You have a pressure gauge, a water meter, and a watch with a second hand, or stopwatch function. Some water meters now include their own flow indicators, making the testing that much easier.

Search this forum for Bucket Test - {did it for you}

Sunday, October 21st 2018, 4:24pm

There are service lines and there are service lines. Since Rain Bird is in California, it might be natural for them to assume that the new water service is feeding a curbside meter pit. Other parts of the US might only have meters in basements, and that is where a service line question comes into play. Home is so far from the water main, so a service line of known length and size will figure into pressure loss calculations.

And really, who cares. Get the meter installed and make your system connection. Then do your own flow-and-pressure testing. You have a pressure gauge, a water meter, and a watch with a second hand, or stopwatch function. Some water meters now include their own flow indicators, making the testing that much easier.

Search this forum for Bucket Test - {did it for you}

Thanks for the help. Yeah it looks like since the meter will be 1 inch, Ill just go with a 1 inch service line and tell them that. Once the meter gets installed I can def get the GPM and PSI. I was banking on them possibly recommending the service line size for optimal performance. Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, October 22nd 2018, 2:18pm

Just what is the distance the water main and the 1-inch meter? What is the pressure in the street? Is this a curbside meter or not? (these are facts you should share from the get-go, along with your location)

Monday, October 22nd 2018, 5:59pm

Just what is the distance the water main and the 1-inch meter? What is the pressure in the street? Is this a curbside meter or not? (these are facts you should share from the get-go, along with your location)

Well all Rain Bird is needing to process my design is service line size and type, GPM, and PSI. Ill be taking payment to water dept this Friday to have meter installed. I can get fittings to somehow rig up a way to put my water gauge onto meter to get PSI; Ill also somehow get GPM at the meter also. As far as the needing service line...Im not t'ing off the service line to my home instead Im having a new meter installed. This is where Rain Bird gets the deer in headlights look. They said we need to know the service line size and type.

Water dept said they will cut the street at tap into the main in the road. Run poly from that to the 1" meter. As far as pressure in the street? I asked for that and was told to test it on an outside faucet at my home to get an idea. This is the type of run around Ive been getting which leads to me posting on here..lol. Im new to irrigation and water dept and Rain Bird hasn't been much help. Location: Arkansas. As far as curb side as far as I know yes its 2 foot from the curb. From main to the meter is approximately 15 ft.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, October 22nd 2018, 7:15pm

Just leave Rainbird out of the loop for now. Do your bucket test. Expect at least 20-25 gpm useful flow. There will be more flow available, but your property (size in acres?) might not need maximum flow.