You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, October 14th 2018, 9:21am

Your thoughts on Poly Pipe?

It seems now days majority of professionals are using poly pipe - main lines and laterals both. I chatted with my local water department about installing a new meter for my irrigation system and was told poly pipe will be used from the main supply in the road to my new meter. My question is how reliable are those metal clamps? Are they subject to rusting and erosion from being in ground?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 17th 2018, 11:06am

Water Department poly pipe is a completely different animal. Thicker pipe walls than what goes into sprinkler systems, so heavy duty that typical stainless steel clamps you see in sprinkler system poly connections are too feeble to secure the water department poly pipe connections, which will be made by compression fittings.

Don't forget that any plumbing leaks upstream of a water meter would be wasting water no one has yet purchased, so trust the water departments to get it right, if only for the money.

Friday, October 19th 2018, 3:21pm

Water Department poly pipe is a completely different animal. Thicker pipe walls than what goes into sprinkler systems, so heavy duty that typical stainless steel clamps you see in sprinkler system poly connections are too feeble to secure the water department poly pipe connections, which will be made by compression fittings.

Don't forget that any plumbing leaks upstream of a water meter would be wasting water no one has yet purchased, so trust the water departments to get it right, if only for the money.

Thanks!