You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

gibbywmu

Starting Member

Tuesday, September 25th 2018, 10:45am

New Winterization

Hi All,
I'm an avid DIY'er....and I'm tired of spending around $65/year to get our sprinklers blown out. I think that is just way too high. I'd rather do it myself and save the $$$ every year.

Can someone recommend if this would be a good enough compressor to get the job done? I only have a pancake 3 Gallon Porter Cable right now, I know it doesn't have a high enough CFM to get my job done. I have 9 Zones in all, so its a pretty big/long system.
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/21-gal-25-hp-125-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61454.html
Also, I have attached a picture of my backflow device. I'm not 100% sure where to hook up the compressor to? I've read/heard that I don't want to put compressed air through the backflow, so I wouldn't want to connect at the bottom.

Just after the backflow device, I see a possible connection point. This is where my Rid O Rust System injects into the line (to prevent rust stains from hard water). I suppose I could just remove that temporarily and blow it out through there.
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

RichMoney

Friday, October 5th 2018, 9:56pm

The easiest spot to blow it out is from the "test port". Those little stems on the side of the backflow device with the plastic cap.

Turn off the water, remove the cap, open the test port, by aligning the flat head screw parallel with the test port, to drain off the pressure, screw in a 1/4" air fitting, turn on your air compress, once it has built up pressure to about 40psi, turn a zone on, then repeat this process for all zones.

Note: once the main line is clear, usually with the first zone or 2, it will take longer to build up the pressure and sometimes you may not even see a head pop up, they will just bubble water.

Once you are done, leave the test ports open, remove the plug on the bottom of the backflow, to drain out the rest of the water in the drop pipe.

Another Note: I always leave the ball valves halfway open, they sometimes have a tendency to store water behind the balls in the valves, leaving the half-open prevents them from freezing.

I plan on writing a detailed guide to winterize on my website, so stay tuned. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions

Rate this thread