You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

stormlight

Starting Member

Thursday, September 13th 2018, 10:32am

Friction in reverse. Small pipe to large question

I understand the concept of friction when going from a larger pipe diameter to small. However, what happens in reverse?

For example, I have a well pump that has a 1 inch output and I have 1 1/4 sprinkler lines coming of that 1 inch pipe.

Since the well pump has 1 inch output does that mean i will never get to use the extra friction room that a 1 1/4 pipe gives over a 1 inch pipe?

Basically it goes: suctions up the well water via the pump at 1 1/4 then goes through the pump and discharges out of the pump orriface at 1 inch. It gets imediatley converted to a 1 1/4 pvc going to all the heads

Thanks all

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, September 14th 2018, 12:50am

Pump suction inputs are often larger than the outputs, since a pump might be lifting water through the suction line, where friction losses could actually stop the pump from working. Lifting water is more complicated than pushing water.

Rate this thread