You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, August 28th 2018, 5:14pm

Anti-siphon leak while running

Hi,

System is 8+ years old, not had much in the way of problems. One of the anti-siphon valves recently broke (cracked at the top vent area) and water started pouring out. So swapped it out for a new one, and water still comes out of the anti-siphon vent area as soon as I open the valve even after replacing (pic is the new valve, the one with the sticker still on it). This particular line only goes to a small drip system. I unscrewed the drip system so it's now just a pvc pipe that's open. When I open the valve, water comes out of the pipe with a decent flow, but given our local high water pressure I would expect it to be coming out faster.

Should I assume there's a blockage or crushed pipe somewhere? It's not a big run (15'), but means I have to dig up a portion of the lawn to dig it up. Nothing significant happened recently (the pipe only runs under the lawn and a walkway) that might crush the pvc. Anything else to try before I start digging?

Thanks!

mrfixit

Wednesday, August 29th 2018, 12:23am

Being that it's a drip zone, is there a pressure reducer and filter on the line somewhere? Possibly buried.

That cap might spurt a little water when it first turns on but then it should seal. Unscrew the cap and make sure there's a float with a rubber washer on it inside. Maybe the rubber washer's on crooked. You could swap parts with a valve next to it and see what happens.

Wednesday, August 29th 2018, 11:22am

I do have a pressure reducer, but not until the actual area. So it's the standard high pressure water line -> manual shutoff valve -> anti-siphon valve -> 15 feet underground pvc -> pressure reducer (above ground where pvc re-emerges) -> soaker hose. No filter however, unless there's one as part of the pressure reducer fitting that I'm not aware of. I should mention, water comes out of the vent area even with no drip system connected (just an open pvc pipe at the end).

When I took another look at it last night, I realized the garden that the soaker is on is raised a couple of inches above the rest of the lawn, so the ASV is probably only 1-2" above the soaker hose. It was never a problem with the other ASV though, but I might raise it a couple of inches just to be safe.

I'll try swapping out the washer and let it run for a bit to see if it stops, I just had never seen any water leaking out of it previously.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "JoeysDonuts" (Aug 29th 2018, 11:34am)

Rate this thread