You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jsbeckton

Monday, August 27th 2018, 6:09am

Sprinkler Head Placement

I am about to install my system and there are a lot of heads that will fall along the grass line right where it meets up with mulched areas. Is it better to put the heads in the grass or move a few inches back into the mulched areas?

mrfixit

Monday, August 27th 2018, 1:41pm

If you think about it the sprinklers would be safer in the mulched area. Plus you could raise them up an inch higher so dirt doesn't get into the seals and wear them out faster. Plus the edge of the grass would be watered better. I like your mulch idea.

It's a tad more work possibly but I think it'll pay off in the long run.

RichMoney

Sunday, September 2nd 2018, 5:17pm

Unfortunately, I disagree, heads that are used to spray turf should be in the turf. I always install the heads about 2-4 inches inside the turf when along flower beds. That way they don't get damaged during edging.

The reason why I do not like them in flower beds is that flower beds typically require more maintenance. Adding new mulch, changing out plants, and adding bed edges all create problems for heads. Flex pipe is often damaged by digging out bed edges. Also, heads tend to get buried under years of mulch, or even better you decide to plant a new bush, right in front of a head, you don't notice it until the next season when your grass is dead because it is no longer getting covered,

https://sprinklerresource.com

mrfixit

Sunday, September 2nd 2018, 9:13pm

I disagree. I never use funny pipe. It's easily damaged with a shovel and the sprinkler has a problem staying straight up and down. Just use risers with shrub heads on them. And putting the sprinklers in 4" from the edge is too far in. The edges will get brown.
You wont have to worry about digging for new plants because you know exactly where the pipes are because you installed it.

RichMoney

Monday, September 3rd 2018, 4:30pm

As a contractor, I absolutely hate risers and nipples. When changing out heads I always had the riser come unscrewed then dirt falling back down into the pipe, then I am forced to screw in the replacement while the system is running to flush the dirt out of the threads.

LoL, that is my luck!

Rate this thread