You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

s0c9

Saturday, August 4th 2018, 12:13pm

Another low flow topic

Done a ton of research, but still a relative noob.
BACKGROUND -
Professionally installed Hunter 24-zone system, 13 rotor zones (PGP - 5 per zone), 4 fixed nozzle zones (various nozzles) and 7 soaker zones (no heads), I-Core controller, and PGV valves - 4 yrs ago. Now out of warranty.
City water (70 psi at install time), no pump.

Zone 17 - a fixed head with 11 nozzles on it, used to work fine. This year, I have low flow.
Took the following troubleshooting steps.
Tested zone by manually opening the solenoid. TWO other zones I tested manually run fine with a 1/4->1/2 turn. This one? Nothing.
With a 1.5 turns I get initial pressure, heads rise normally [momentarily] then drop back down and go back to bubbling.
Ran system from controller, adjusted the valve flow control to various positions (which appears to work as intended as I observed change in flow on nearest head), still only bubbles. Repeat same process with manually opening the solenoid and trying various settings from fully closed to wide open. Same result. Bubble after the initial normal operation.
Two or three times during troubleshooting, when manually opening the solenoid, I got NO FLOW AT ALL !!
As with other posts on this forum, my other zones work normally.

Given the conflicting behaviors - the brief normal pop up then bubbling, versus controller started with only bubbling.. I'm confused. First thoughts is a bad valve.. ???
The initial pressure on manual operation does not indicate a pipe leak - is my guess. idk.

I'm hoping y'all can shed some insight.
Thanks in advance.

PS: This system has never worked "right". The controller program(s) will often kick off 2 zones at a time. System is on city water pressure, no pump, so both zones get little water. When I manually run a zone, it works fine 99% of the time. Occasionally I will get 2 zones triggering. I will also check the programs (I run split days with zone 1-9 and 10-17 on alternating days) and find 3 or more zones will have run and the others [in sequence] will show "failures" on the remaining zones on the controller display. :(

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "s0c9" (Aug 4th 2018, 12:18pm)

mrfixit

Saturday, August 4th 2018, 5:05pm

The I-Core has the capability of running 2 zones at the same time so if two programs are overlapping then two valves will run at the same time.
With your low pressure, is there a valve right next to the problem valve where you could swap out all the parts and see if that fixes the problem? It's a simple job on that valve.

s0c9

Saturday, August 4th 2018, 5:30pm

The I-Core has the capability of running 2 zones at the same time so if two programs are overlapping then two valves will run at the same time.
With your low pressure, is there a valve right next to the problem valve where you could swap out all the parts and see if that fixes the problem? It's a simple job on that valve.
I've checked that aspect.. no overlapping programs.. I only have the 2 (A,B) running.
I can try to swap it out with another valve.. but never done that before, so not sure of any gotcha's with the internal workings (springs?).

mrfixit

Sunday, August 5th 2018, 5:48am

Check out these videos to get a feel for it first.

s0c9

Sunday, August 5th 2018, 5:02pm

Thanks.. will do !!
Appreciate the help

s0c9

Monday, August 6th 2018, 7:31pm

Ordered a replacement valve. Should be here by the end of the week.

s0c9

Saturday, August 11th 2018, 4:56pm

Replacement valve arrived, but pouring rain all day.. and forecast same for Sunday + Monday.
Will replace as soon as weather permits.

s0c9

Sunday, August 26th 2018, 10:18pm

Finally got to replace the valve.
Behavior is basically the same.. There's ZERO pressure getting thru .. so the flow from the heads is barely a dribble.
I can open the solenoid by hand... ZERO flow. I can also hear it open/close when I disconnect one of the wires.
I can open the release valve some and I get a little pressured flow, but that's supposed to drain the valve, not create flow. Weird.
Does this mean that I have crap in the lines, and need to remove the valve and it's contents and flush the line ??

mrfixit

Monday, August 27th 2018, 3:56am

Sorry fixing the valve didn't work. It sounds like there's a break in the line or a broke off sprinkler. Run it for a while and look for flooding.

If you have a hose bib you can watch the pressure with a gauge. If it doesn't drop then it's clogged. If it drops more than the other valves then there's a break.

With the Icore go ahead and press the reset button on the back of the faceplate. It wont erase your programming but it'll reboot it and possibly fix your problem. Double check all the programs to make sure they aren't overlapping.

It could also be a wiring problem with wires intermittently touching each other.

I'm pretty tired at the moment. I'll have to check tomorrow to see if I've made sense. haha

s0c9

Monday, August 27th 2018, 5:33pm

Thanks...
I did try surrounding zones (manual trigger off i-core) and they all work fine, albeit there seems to be quite a bit of "air" in the system..
I'll try the reset and report back.. I'm limited to trying this after business hours during the week.

Reset didn't fix anything.. no overlapping zones.. simply no water going to that specific zone, tho' zones around it work fine.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "s0c9" (Aug 27th 2018, 7:05pm)