You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bman

Thursday, July 26th 2018, 9:55am

Hunter Pro-C - Station error and "P Err"

First house with sprinkler system. Working fine for first couple years. Controller is a Hunter Pro-C (older model; Date "APR04") in the basement. 4 stations - #1, #2 in the front, #3, #4 in the back. A few weeks ago I was getting "6 Err" on the display. I don't have a station #6. When I manually ran station #2, I can hear the water run for 2 seconds and shut off, displaying "P Err". The sprinkler guy used a remote to turn on the system from outside and came in and checked out the controller. He said "All set" and left. The next time the sprinklers ran there was a "P Err" on the screen. I tried to run each station manually. Now station #2 starts and stops again showing "2 Err", station #3 never starts (is skipped) and shows "P Err", the other stations (#1, #4) run fine. I call the sprinkler guy again and he says the controller is old and needs to be replaced, without even coming out to check anything.
I tried resetting the controller and powering the controller off. The same messages display for stations #2, #3.
I read some of the other posts and I'm going to try disconnecting the ground wire and testing the stations.
  1. Anything else I should try?
  2. Can I replace the older Pro-C face\controller with a newer Pro-C face\controller? Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Sprinklers-526200-Replacement-Controller/dp/B00FJWETN8/ref=sr_1_3

mrfixit

Thursday, July 26th 2018, 12:02pm

Is there a wire hooked up to the p/mv terminal?
Is there a wire hooked up to the #6 terminal?
When you reset the controller, did you press that little button on the back of the faceplate? Take out the back up battery and press that tiny button.
Did he do any resistance testing? That number 2 solenoid might be bad.
What happened with your test of removing the common wire?

bman

Thursday, July 26th 2018, 5:34pm

Is there a wire hooked up to the p/mv terminal? No
Is there a wire hooked up to the #6 terminal? No
When you reset the controller, did you press that little button on the back of the faceplate? Take out the back up battery and press that tiny button. Yes, I removed the battery, pressed the reset button behind the faceplate (above the battery).
Did he do any resistance testing? That number 2 solenoid might be bad. I don't know, I was inside and he was outside for a bit before going to the controller.
What happened with your test of removing the common wire? Let me tell you...

I unplugged the AC adapter for the controller. I unhooked the GND connector and plugged the AC. I manually ran station #2 and it worked! I tested #3, no water, "P Err" on the screen. I hooked the GND connector and tested station #2 and it still worked! I retested #3. No water, "P Err" on the screen. I'm halfway there?
Is there something else I can try?

mrfixit

Friday, July 27th 2018, 3:40am

If you have the wires disconnected and still getting err messages, then that timer needs replacing.

Maybe check to see if the ribbon's loose. It's on the back of the faceplate.

Will the new style faceplate go in the older Pro-C? hmm I haven't tried that yet.
I know on the RainDial they made the ribbon connection different on the newer controllers. I'm not sure if Hunter changed theirs or not.

I know on the Pro-C indoor that the transformer bakes the faceplate. Look on the back of it and I bet it's discolored where the transformer touches the back of the faceplate. If yours has the built in transformer that is.

Now I'm thinking it's possible the main module's going bad. So a new faceplate wouldn't help. Just buy a new controller if the old one is bad. =)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Jul 27th 2018, 4:24am)

bman

Friday, July 27th 2018, 12:13pm

If you have the wires disconnected and still getting err messages, then that timer needs replacing. I haven't tried unhooking the station #3 and running manually. I will try that and let you know.

Maybe check to see if the ribbon's loose. It's on the back of the faceplate. I will check that too.

I know on the Pro-C indoor that the transformer bakes the faceplate. Look on the back of it and I bet it's discolored where the transformer touches the back of the faceplate. If yours has the built in transformer that is. On mine the AC transformer is a "wall wart", it's about 50ft away plugged into a surge protector. There's no deformed or discolored plastic on the back of the controller faceplate.

Now I'm thinking it's possible the main module's going bad. So a new faceplate wouldn't help. Just buy a new controller if the old one is bad. =) What's the "controller"? is it the Controller Front Panel (link above). Or the Station Plug-In Module (https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Sprinkler-PCM300-3-Station-Module/dp/B00FYR8M7M/ref=sr_1_13) or the Base Module Controller Timer (https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Module-466500-PC300i-Controller/dp/B00FJWEAC8/ref=sr_1_19)?
Thanks for your assistance! :)

bman

Friday, July 27th 2018, 4:40pm

I disconnected station #3 wire and manually ran that station. It worked. Obviously, no water was running. While that was running, I reconnected the wire. I saw a little spark and the display changed "3 Err". With it connected I manually ran station #3 - "P Err".

I disconnected and reconnected the faceplate ribbon cable. No change
I unseated and reseated the modules below - no change'
Station Base\Main module
3-Station Module

The sprinkler guy just emailed me to recommend changing "the controller". I don't which part is the "controller"?

mrfixit

Friday, July 27th 2018, 7:36pm

There might be a short on number 3. Could be the solenoid. Go disconnect the solenoid wire at the valve and run the test again. Don't disconnect the wires from the controller/timer. No short means the solenoid's bad. If it's still shorting it's in the wiring.

bman

Sunday, July 29th 2018, 4:46pm

I disconnected the colored wire from solenoid #3. I manually ran the station. The controller showed the station was running - obviously no water was running. So does that mean I have to buy a new solenoid and replace it? How hard is it to replace? Should I have the sprinkler guy do it?

mrfixit

Sunday, July 29th 2018, 7:25pm

No, don't pay someone to do it. Changing the solenoid's one of the simplest jobs.
Just turn the water off and unscrew. Simple as changing a lightbulb.
If you could post a pic of the valve or supply a link to a valve just like it I could give specifics. Sometime's there's an o-ring to worry about. Basically, make sure there's only 1 o-ring. Sometimes the old one stays in there.

bman

Monday, July 30th 2018, 8:30am

1) Is there a way to test the solenoid directly?
2) I didn't know which one was the solenoid so I took a bunch of pictures:
https://imgur.com/JS1czb4
https://imgur.com/KiKNvRm
https://imgur.com/rTkp5Sl
https://imgur.com/ArevGRk

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "bman" (Jul 30th 2018, 8:50am)

Rate this thread