You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, July 14th 2018, 10:32am

Two of six zones not functioning

I hope I'm in the right section as I'm pretty sure it is a controller issue. I moved into a rental house and when the inspection guy came around it appeared the sprinklers were working fine. However, sometime later, I started to rake an area which wasn't doing so well and found two sprinkler heads which were irrigation sprinklers and i found a third sprinkler head which was the 3 ft tall garden sprinklers. I have a rain bird esp-tm controller, and I an the manual and those three sprinklers did not work while the other sprinklers did. I pulled the cover off and found four zones wired and two wire loose. All other wires were accounted for so it wasn't like they were being used for something as the sprinklers were functioning. Zones five and six had no wires attached to them so I attached the two wires to zones 5 and 6 but to no avail. What is the issue I'm having?

RichMoney

Saturday, July 14th 2018, 12:37pm

It is not uncommon for contractors to wire up systems with extra control wires. They primarily do this for future expansion or if a wire goes bad they can attach it to an extra.
1 of two things have happend, either a line has been capped off or the control valve is not working. Most of the time when a control valve fails it creates a short circuit which will give a fault or a blown fuse at the controller.
To see if a field wire has a valve connected to it, you will have to perform a continuity check with a volt meter.
Unhook the wire in the controll marked C (common) or VC (valve common). Turn you meter to either the sign with the arrow or the ohms sign. Touch one lead of the meter to the C wire and the the other lead to one of the field wires. You should see some resistnaceof about 40-80 ohms if the valve is wired. If there is a short it will be really low resistance under 10 ohms.
Hoped this helped to answer your questions.
https://sprinklerresource.com

Rate this thread