You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

cash

Tuesday, July 3rd 2018, 9:51pm

Toro Greenskeeper 212-display works but sprinklers don't come on

Yesterday my sprinkler system was working fine. Today I went to manually start it and the stations won't start. The controller display works. I checked the breakers. I checked the fuse. Replaced the battery. Checked the wire connections to the transformer. Everything works but the system won't turn on. How do I know when I need to replace the controller? It seems strange the display would work but the controller would be non-functional but I guess it could happen. Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

mrfixit

Tuesday, July 3rd 2018, 10:28pm

Go out to the valves and see if you can turn one on manually. Maybe someone shut the water off to the system.

Is the outlet working? Plug something else into it.

Did the common wire come loose from the controller? I saw that just today. That's easily done on your controller. Check for the same thing at the valves, a disconnected common wire. Look for the same color wire hooked up to your common terminal.

Do any digging lately where the wires might have got cut in half?

cash

Wednesday, July 4th 2018, 12:59pm

Toro Greenskeep controller - system won't turn on (con't)

Thanks for the ideas. Outlet is working. Common wire is in place on the controller. I have not done any digging lately.

The controller has a wire going to the master valve so apparently I have a master valve installed. Could a bad master valve be the problem?

Per your suggestion, when I try to turn on the valves manually, none of them come on. They are Toro valves. I have 8 stations. The valves at the back flow preventer are on the open position.

I can't find the main irrigation control valves (i.e. the large green box) in order to make sure they have not been inadvertently turned off. However, there is no reason anyone should have been turning on or off our main irrigation control valve (especially since I can't find it.) Any idea on how to find the main irrigation control valves?

We just purchased this house a year ago so this if the first time I've had to look for any of this. I"m open to any other ideas as well. Thanks again for your help.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "cash" (Jul 4th 2018, 2:37pm)

mrfixit

Wednesday, July 4th 2018, 2:23pm

It could still be a wiring problem.
How do you know the valves are Toro if you can't find them? The controller's Toro but the valves could be anything.

You could do a continuity test to see if the wiring's ok. Click on me.

When I suggested turning the valves on manually, I meant finding the valves and turning one on manually from there.

You can poke around with a screwdriver where you suspect the valve box might be. You'll probably have to follow the wires to the valves via a valve locator or a shovel.

cash

Wednesday, July 4th 2018, 2:44pm

I just saw your response from this morning.

I can find the individual station valves and I tried starting each one manually. They did not come on.

The main sprinkler valve I'm talking about is the one that is found after the main water line that goes to the house. My neighbors system has a big green box in his yard which looks like it's the on/off valve for the entire sprinkler system. That's the what I'm calling the main valve and cannot find.

I also see that my system has a master valve since in the controller there is a wire going to the MV slot. The wire itself looks okay. I've been reading about Master Valves on line. Could a bad master valve be the cause of none of my station valves turning on? Any idea how to find it?

What a way to spend the 4th of July. Thanks for your help.

mrfixit

Wednesday, July 4th 2018, 4:38pm

Yep, It's probably the master valve. I don't usually think of that first because where I live people don't have them. I've only seen 3 or 4 in 24 years.

So go over to the master valve and open the bleeder screw if you can. If it's stuck stop turning cause you'll break it off. That can easily happen on an old brass valve. Or turn the solenoid then go out to your other valves and open one manually there.

If there's water at the master valve then that's what I'd repair. Check the wiring to that valve. If it's ok then repair or replace the valve.

The shut off valve should be before the master valve somewhere.

Rate this thread