You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, June 29th 2018, 7:26pm

Cover valve box with grass?

I had an irrigation company come to the house to give me a quote and i mentioned i didnt want valves throughout the yard, as he suggested. I want one central valve box area. He said the valve boxes throughout the yard can be covered with dirt and grass...? After he left i goggled it and found no examples of that being done and alsk noticed every valve box cover has at least one hole in it. Wouldnt that mean dirt and other stuff would get in the valve box if it was covered in dirt and grass? Wouldnt the valve box cover get get and cause the grass above it to get to hot and die?

mrfixit

Friday, June 29th 2018, 9:44pm

I learned a long time ago to make the customer happy. Unless I know what they want will cause a problem or it wont be effective I'll go with their idea. There's no reason for him to not put all the valves in one spot. He's trying to make him happy not you.
If you have valve boxes all over the place then you also have wires running all over the place. Unless he puts them in conduit they're always there waiting for a shovel to cut them in half.

If he'll argue over this, it makes one wonder how easy he'll be to work with once the job starts.

Get some more quotes.

RichMoney

Wednesday, July 4th 2018, 7:27pm

As an installer with over 20 years experience, installing valves in a central location in a yard makes for a HUGE pain in the but!
Installing the system with multiple valve locations will save on materials and more importantly labor, as a result, it will drive your cost as a customer up.
Picture this 6 valves in one spot
  • 2 for the front right side of the ouse
  • 1 for the right side of the house
  • 2 for the backyard
  • 1 for the left side
  • 1 for the front left side

If the valves are located in the backyard, the contractor will have to pull the main water supply line to the backyard then run pipes from the valves back to the front yard. Depending on the layout you could end up with 3 or more pipes in the same trench.
This drastically increases the amount of pipe, fittings and amount of handwork on a site.
This is even more of an issue where lack of space is involved or areas crowded by utility lines.
As a contractor, I would always install the valves in the crawl space if the home has one. That way you can just bring the lateral lines (pipes from the valves to the heads) out on each side of the house as necessary.
The only downside to having multiple valve locations is forgetting where the valves are located. Contractors have ways of locating valves, but it can be a big task if you do not have the proper tools.
You wouldn't believe how hard some valves are to locate after being in the ground for years.
Bottom line- Installing multiple valve locations will save you money on the installation cost. If you opt for the multiple locations, make sure you know where they are installed.

https://sprinklerresource.com/

mrfixit

Wednesday, July 4th 2018, 7:32pm

So you're saying that spending 2 more hours to make your customer happy is a "huge pain in the butt"?

It seems like running all that extra wire would be a pain in the butt and take longer.

Rate this thread