You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

CAFFEINATED

Unregistered

Saturday, June 23rd 2018, 7:54pm

Intermittent loss of water supply to the system

I started noticing that the system wasn’t running every time it was supposed to for the last 3 weeks or so. I finally got a chance to look at it yesterday, and opening the sprinkler valves manually didn’t work because the valves weren’t getting any water. I wondered if the cutoff valve was the problem since it was a crappy looking gate valve, so I closed it and it didn’t feel like anything happened but when I opened it back up water came rushing through and everything started working again (both manually and from the controller). Thought that solved it.

Then this morning the system failed to go off again. Same thing when turning the solenoids manually - no water to the valves. No response from opening or shutting the gate valve, so I figured the problem was that it was stripped out and stuck shut. I turned off the water at the street and cut the gate valve out, but it turns out that wasn’t it. That valve is still good, and even if I leave the pipe wide open there’s no water flow out of it after turning the water back on at the street. Everything else in and around the house works fine - only the sprinklers don’t have water. When everything in the house is off the pinwheel isn’t spinning on my meter so it can’t be a leak. For now I capped the line where the gate valve was since the water may still mysteriously come back.

Only thing I can figure is that there’s an obstruction in the line before where the cutoff valve was that’s sealing up the water flow tight enough to not leak, but then why would it come and go? I never noticed low pressure. The system either works perfectly or not at all.