You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DWaterOff

Unregistered

Sunday, June 17th 2018, 2:00am

Sprinkler Repair Blew off Hours Later???

Hi:
Long story. My valve was leaking so I capped the pipe. Weeks later found out the cap was leaking (threaded end+unthreaded cap). Then winds blew a tree down right on top of the valves. I had a guy push the tree off the driveway but when he did we found the tree had a surprise. Bee Hive. We got stung. Called a Bee guy he removed the hive but a troupe of bees liked the new watering hole they discovered and wouldn't leave. Finally today after paying triple water bills for all this time I decided to tackle the problem without removing the bees. I cut off the low end of the valve pipe just under the rotator that adjusts the water flow. Installed a coupler along with an extension piece of very old PVC that's been lying around in the sun for years. The cut of the pipe in the ground was not straight/flat but the couple stayed on the pipe. The piece that blew off was the extension plus the cap. I put a layer of glue on both the inside of the fitting and the outside of the extension, twisted all the joints before I let it set for 2.5 hours (3:45-6:30PM) and then turned the water back on and everything was fine. Used water at 9pm was fine. Went to use the faucet at maybe 10:30 pm and no flow. Rushed outside to see and fountain in the front yard. That has never happened before in life. What could be the problem?

mrfixit

Sunday, June 17th 2018, 2:12am

You should use a new piece of pipe. Also use primer and glue. Hold the pipe in place for a few second after twisting it. Make sure it's all the way into the fitting.
Make sure the old pipe is clean. Get any calcium deposits or mold off of there. I use fine grit emery cloth. Or you can just scrape it with a knife.
If any water mixed with your glue you'll have a weak spot.
It shouldn't have to dry that long. Right on the can it says it'll be completely set in 20 minutes. Maybe you have high water pressure or water hammer. Let it dry an hour just because.

DWaterOff

Unregistered

Sunday, June 17th 2018, 11:41am

I'll do that but if was going to fail why not fail immediately. Why hours later?
You should use a new piece of pipe. Also use primer and glue. Hold the pipe in place for a few second after twisting it. Make sure it's all the way into the fitting.
Make sure the old pipe is clean. Get any calcium deposits or mold off of there. I use fine grit emery cloth. Or you can just scrape it with a knife.
If any water mixed with your glue you'll have a weak spot.
It shouldn't have to dry that long. Right on the can it says it'll be completely set in 20 minutes. Maybe you have high water pressure or water hammer. Let it dry an hour just because.

mrfixit

Sunday, June 17th 2018, 3:28pm

Maybe the water pressure increases in your area at night.

Rate this thread