You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Drewsak

Saturday, June 2nd 2018, 2:17pm

Sprinkler Station Box Squealing Sound

I have Rachio Gen 2 sprinkler box. Every time it runs the schedule, I get an email saying there is an error at Station 5 and the station didn’t finish watering according to schedule. I went out and tested Station 5 and it comes on just fine when I run it. However, when I stop the Station, I hear a loud squealing sound coming from the valve box. Once the water has stopped flowing from the sprinkler heads at that Station, the squealing sound goes on for another ~20 seconds or so.

Is this a bad solenoid? Or could I be looking a number of problems?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Andrew

mrfixit

Saturday, June 2nd 2018, 3:47pm

When you went out and tested it, did you get the error signal? What is the error indicating according to the manual?
Sight unseen I would suspect a bad solenoid. There might be other problems with the valve as well. The squealing after it shuts off wouldn't cause an error.
Are these Rainbird valves? I try to not install those because of the god awful grunting they do when they shut off.
I don't know much about Rachio. I doubt anybody else does either. Try disconnecting one of the wires from the suspected solenoid then run number 5 from the controller or app. Does it still give an error? If not, change the solenoid. The Rachio might indicate an open wire though. Only one way to find out.
Is there a valve right next to the bad valve? Try swapping solenoids.

Drewsak

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 2:58am

When you went out and tested it, did you get the error signal? What is the error indicating according to the manual?
Sight unseen I would suspect a bad solenoid. There might be other problems with the valve as well. The squealing after it shuts off wouldn't cause an error.
Are these Rainbird valves? I try to not install those because of the god awful grunting they do when they shut off.
I don't know much about Rachio. I doubt anybody else does either. Try disconnecting one of the wires from the suspected solenoid then run number 5 from the controller or app. Does it still give an error? If not, change the solenoid. The Rachio might indicate an open wire though. Only one way to find out.
Is there a valve right next to the bad valve? Try swapping solenoids.

Thank you for the help! When I run it manually I don’t get an error at all.

mrfixit

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 3:52am

Wiring problems don't cause squealing like that. I'd rebuild or replace the valve.
Is it a drip line with a pressure reducer on it? Sometimes the pressure reducer squeals but that's usually when it's running not when it shuts off.
Maybe buy a new valve and swap out all the parts. That way you get a new diaphragm a new bonnet and a new solenoid all in one shot. Or just replace the whole thing.

Drewsak

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 4:02pm

Wiring problems don't cause squealing like that. I'd rebuild or replace the valve.
Is it a drip line with a pressure reducer on it? Sometimes the pressure reducer squeals but that's usually when it's running not when it shuts off.
Maybe buy a new valve and swap out all the parts. That way you get a new diaphragm a new bonnet and a new solenoid all in one shot. Or just replace the whole thing.

Not a drip line...just a standard pop up station. So it wouldn’t be a bad solenoid causing it to malfuntion? Sorry, I’m not very knowledgeable about this nor am I very handy at fixing it. But, I thought I could replace a solenoid, but hell, maybe not.

mrfixit

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 4:46pm

You can replace the solenoid if you wish. It's simple enough. I don't know which valve you have. That most likely wont fix the problem but who knows. You'll get a little experience in the process. Try swapping the solenoid with a another valve in your yard.

Rate this thread