You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

geobrick

Thursday, May 31st 2018, 8:17pm

Champion Valves and Actuators

Is there an known issue with champion 1" brass actuators made between 2014 and 2016? I bought a few of them during that time and noticed they don't have a spring on the lower stem like other brands of actuators. I thought at the time that maybe they came up with something new or innovative but now it seems they're back to selling a version that looks more like the other brands of actuators. Usually there's a reason for changing a design so I thought I'd ask here. (I'll upload some photos comparing them soon).

Here's some background into why I'm asking.
My house was built in 2000 and came with sprinklers that are controlled by Champion Valves with Superior Actuators (they are the 1" brass valves). I'm not sure why the builder's installer chose to use Superior instead of Champion actuators on the champion valves but I hope there was a good reason other than cost.

Over the years, I've repaired many of the actuators using superior valve repair kits. About 2 years ago I bought some spare Champion valves that came with champion branded actuators. The box says CL466-100-B. It contains one CL466 valve with the CL-100-B actuator installed on the valve. I also bought some repair kits for the champion actuators to have around. I noticed the diaphragm was noticeably smaller than the diaphragms used on the superior actuators. No big deal. They don't need to be interchangeable.

The next time I had a problem with a sprinkler leak, I decided to just swap the suspected superior actuator with one of the new champion actuators. I noticed the Champion actuator didn't have a spring like other actuators I've seen but it seemed to work fine.

If there's an issue with the champion actuators built between 2014 and 2016 I want to know what to expect.

mrfixit

Thursday, May 31st 2018, 8:57pm

The spring's on the inside of the Champion actuator.
It's on the outside of the Superior actuator.
I'm pretty sure that Champion is out of business so I doubt they're selling them with springs on the outside now.
The diaphragms are about the same size. The one you bought must be for the mini

Take that Champion actuator apart and see if there's a spring in there.

I've always used Superior brass actuators and Irritrol plastic actuators. Only one time did I install the Champion brass actuators. That was over 20 years ago and they're still working. I don't install the Superior so much anymore because I've had problems with the diaphragms the past few years. Something's different. They go bad as early as 6 months. I've had to rebuild numerous valves. Many times for free under my 1 year warranty. So I stick to the plastic valve adapters which are very reliable.

The new valves with the spring on the outside might be Aqualine which is probably made by Superior.
---
hmm. I might be wrong on that diaphragm. I know there's a Champion diaphragm that looks almost identical with the Superior. But something's telling me there's a smaller beaded diaphragm? Meaning no screw holes in it.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (May 31st 2018, 10:29pm)

geobrick

Friday, June 1st 2018, 2:04am

The spring's on the inside of the Champion actuator.
It's on the outside of the Superior actuator.
I'm pretty sure that Champion is out of business so I doubt they're selling them with springs on the outside now.
The diaphragms are about the same size. The one you bought must be for the mini

Take that Champion actuator apart and see if there's a spring in there.

I've always used Superior brass actuators and Irritrol plastic actuators. Only one time did I install the Champion brass actuators. That was over 20 years ago and they're still working. I don't install the Superior so much anymore because I've had problems with the diaphragms the past few years. Something's different. They go bad as early as 6 months. I've had to rebuild numerous valves. Many times for free under my 1 year warranty. So I stick to the plastic valve adapters which are very reliable.

The new valves with the spring on the outside might be Aqualine which is probably made by Superior.
---
hmm. I might be wrong on that diaphragm. I know there's a Champion diaphragm that looks almost identical with the Superior. But something's telling me there's a smaller beaded diaphragm? Meaning no screw holes in it.

Thanks for the reply. I'll check inside for the spring.

I was wrong to be concerned about the champion valve because the date range for the actuator was actually 2004-2016 (not 2014-2016). So while there was a change after 2016, there was a long run with the older design.

Is Champion out of business? Their website is still active. That's where I verified the design change (after seeing one in a local store showing made in Taiwan). Here's the link showing the new style actuator along with the repair kits for each date range. http://champion-arrowhead.com/index.php/champion-irrigation/irrigation-valves/actuators/cl.html (I think I'm too new to the forum to post working links).

Here are some of the photos of champion and superior actuators and their associated repair kits.

The kits:

The current Champion Actuator shown on the Champion Website:

mrfixit

Friday, June 1st 2018, 5:48am

All I know is the two sprinkler supply stores I buy from both told me Champion went out of business a few years ago and they've stopped carrying the product.
The valves pictured on the Arrowhead/Champion site look like Superior/Buckner valves to me.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 1st 2018, 12:36pm

Champion/Arrowhead had some production issues, but they can probably stick around. At least their website is back up. Arrowhead no-lead frost-free sillcocks might be their biggest money-maker now.

geobrick

Friday, June 1st 2018, 6:50pm

MrFixit, Which Irrotrol Valves or Actuators do you like? I'll try some.

My system is plumbed for a union fitting on the output side of the valve. Do they make valves like that? I didn't see any on their website. I could try just an actuator.

mrfixit

Friday, June 1st 2018, 7:08pm

Just change the actuator. The brass body lasts forever. The only thing that might need replacing is the float if the rubber washer is bad. Or the cap washer which will come in the float kit.
I like the Irritrol 2623DPR. I've installed hundreds of them. I haven't had a problem since 2000 when there was a design flaw.

Or if you're changing the whole valve. I like the 2700 series.
If you install these valves in place of your brass valve bodies just note that the ports will be farther apart on the new valves and the pipes will need to be modified to fit.

Just make sure you know what size valve to get. 3/4" or 1".

geobrick

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 9:17pm

Just change the actuator. The brass body lasts forever. The only thing that might need replacing is the float if the rubber washer is bad. Or the cap washer which will come in the float kit.
I like the Irritrol 2623DPR. I've installed hundreds of them. I haven't had a problem since 2000 when there was a design flaw.
Or if you're changing the whole valve. I like the 2700 series.
If you install these valves in place of your brass valve bodies just note that the ports will be farther apart on the new valves and the pipes will need to be modified to fit.
I'm not going to get the whole valve if I need to modify the pipes. I'll just assume you are right and the brass valves will last forever. I do find the cap gaskets seem to fail once in a while. I've also broken several caps that were jammed over the years. I started using anti-seize compound on the threads to prevent it (so far it seems to work). The floats seem to last forever and the rubber washer can be cleaned up and put back on the float. Over the years I've had issues with slow seeping from sprinkler heads when the valve is supposed to be off. Sometimes an actuator will work fine on one valve but not on another. Strange issues.
Just make sure you know what size valve to get. 3/4" or 1".
Got it. My Champion valves are all one inch.

geobrick

Wednesday, June 6th 2018, 6:35pm

I ordered the 300 Series instead of the 2623DPR. It's the same but made of glass reinforced nylon.

I received them today but noticed they're stamped "100 Series" not 300 Series. May just be a minor manufacturing error because they look exactly like the 300 Series and nothing like the 100 Series.

Here's a picture and a close-up of the number.

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 6th 2018, 8:35pm

hmm. Interesting. I'll have to check it out. Maybe the two valve use the same bonnet. I didn't think they did but who knows. I'm sure I haven't checked in quite a while.
I just bought a 300 valve today. Maybe I'll swap parts and see what happens. I'd imagine the stems are different and will need swapped as well.

Rate this thread