You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

SynxinTX

Unregistered

Sunday, May 27th 2018, 5:00pm

Several zones stay on despite system being off

Hello everyone, I was hoping that someone could help me with a sprinkler issue I've been having. My issue is that several zones (5, 6, and 7, I believe; it's the middle controller on my Rainbird system) are running even though the system is set to Off. I've actually had a problem with these zones before, but the issue last time was a faulty controller (it said "no mode" or something for those zones), and replacing the controller fixed it. This time, the controller seems fine.

The only thing that turned off the water was, of course, shutting the water off completely. However, touching the Reset button on the control panel also stopped the water until it was released, which I found interesting.

What could the problem be? Could it be the solenoid or something being stuck somewhere in that valve? We had a strong storm come through last night so I wonder if something wind-related messed up something with that valve.

Thanks for any help. I'd love to be able to fix this myself again.

mrfixit

Sunday, May 27th 2018, 7:50pm

It sounds like the controller's messed up. Do the valves shut off if you unplug the controller?

SynxinTX

Unregistered

Sunday, May 27th 2018, 8:44pm

No, the valves do not stop if the controller is unplugged. I tried that and also tried switching it with another as I've done before, but no change. The water only stops if it's turned off entirely or if Reset is held down. Otherwise, the valves keep running. :( This is why I think it may be a valve thing.

mrfixit

Sunday, May 27th 2018, 9:16pm

It doesn't make sense that the reset would turn them off if they don't also turn off when you unplug the controller.
Are the valves DC operated by any chance?
What's the make and model of the controller?

SynxinTX

Unregistered

Sunday, May 27th 2018, 9:51pm

It doesn't make sense to me either. :( Also, I should apologize -- I've been using the wrong term. When I say "controller," i mean "module." Whenever I unplug the module, the valves still stay on. However, it doesn't really matter because even if I unplug the controller (which as I learned refers to the main control panel), they STILL stay on. It's so strange and I'm wondering if something got seriously messed up after the storm we had. I had another valve stay on last night, but it turned off after I unplugged and re-plugged the controller.

The make is Rainbird, and it's an ESP Modular controller.

SynxinTX

Monday, May 28th 2018, 6:58pm

I apologize for double posting, but I couldn't make any edits to my post from when I was unregistered. I thought I would give a list of things I tried in case they were useful.

• Turned the valve solenoid thing to the off position
  • Unplugged and replugged the module on the controller for those zones (it is a Rain Bird ESP Modular controller)
  • Switched the module with another for different zones
  • Unplugged and replugged the wall cable on the controller - the water did not stop when I did this!
  • Touched the "Reset" button on the controller - this turned off the water, but it resumed when I let go of the button

No success in turning the valves off so far. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thanks for replying so far, MrFixIt!

mrfixit

Monday, May 28th 2018, 10:20pm

Ok, a couple more questions.
Do you get your water from a well or on a pump. Or is it city water?
What are the make and model of the valves.
Do you have a master valve? What's the make and model of it?
I have a feeling you have a pump or something.

SynxinTX

Monday, May 28th 2018, 10:32pm

I don't have a well; it's just a typical suburban water system, so I suppose it's city water. Not sure about the master valve; I'll have to look into that. The valves are Hunter SRV valves.

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 29th 2018, 1:45pm

Ok, here's what I'd like you to try. First, unplug the controller. Then take a large flathead screwdriver or a small pair of channel locks out to the valves. Turn the flow controls down a bit on each stuck on valve until it turns off.
Now turn on and off the valves with the solenoid. Are they operating correctly or does the flow control need to be turned up a bit. You don't want the flow controls open all the way. Just make sure the valves don't sound labored.
Now go back and plug in the controller. I'm thinking the controller is fried. Did they come back on?

SynxinTX

Tuesday, May 29th 2018, 3:33pm

Thank you very much for the suggestion, but those valves (or at least the one I checked so far) do not have a flow control. It's just a square bonnet without the little screw (that I assume you are referring to) for that.

I cross-posted this question elsewhere and several people have also told me that it's a controller issue, so I am thinking that that is, in fact, the source of the problem and thus I think I will replace the current one with a newer one.

http://www.evergreensprinklers.com/images/T/SRV-100.jpg - this is the sort of valve I have

Rate this thread