You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jjschnak

Unregistered

Friday, May 18th 2018, 7:28pm

Low psi from irrigation pump

I use a 1 1/2 hp StaRite irrigation pump to pull water from a creek for my sprinkler system.
My problem is low psi of around 18 psi. I have a vacuum gauge before the pump that is around 5 psi.
I’ve checked the supply line and don’t believe there’s air infiltrating, but I’m not 100%.
My question is where to start on the low psi. Is it more likely a pump issue such as the impeller or more likely on the supply pipe?

RichMoney

Unregistered

Friday, May 25th 2018, 11:03pm

Pump Troubleshooting

This could be related to a number of issues. When pumps are pulling from a creek, they typically are using some sort of filter to ensure large debris do not enter the pump. This could be a well screen pipe, basically a pipe with a bunch of tiny slits in it, or a foot valve. Foot valves are usually brass that contain a check valve and a screen.
Next there is flow control on the pump, this is a small threaded screw that extends from the of the housing. What this is used for is to help recirculate the water to give more flow through a jet or a packer on the pump, effectively helping it generate more lift. If this has been changed the pump could be recirculating all of its water and not producing pressure.
First thing to try is if there is a ball valve on the discharge side of the pump, close that ball valve completely. Does it eventually build up pressure to the point the pump shuts off? If it does, does it hold the pressure. If it holds the pressure than it is a most likely a restriction in the suction line. If it shuts off and gradually looses pressure then it is a hole or a leak in the suction line. This is causing the pump to suck air and not be able to produce pressure.
I am in the progress of building a website to share my 20 years of irrigation experience, just for issues like these it can be found here: https://sprinklerresource.com
:D :D

Rate this thread