You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Scotty99

Unregistered

Friday, May 4th 2018, 11:14am

New well pump, but no water

My irrigation system is powered by a well.

A few months ago my pump seized up. It was 1hp. I hadn’t noticed there was a problem until I saw some brown/dry spots in my yard. I replaced it with a 3/4hp that I got a good deal on, hoping it work.

It worked, but the water pressure coming out of the sprinklers was low. The sprinklers seemed to only shoot out 30% of what they should. I changed the timer to run every day to make up for the weaker pressure. I left it like this for a few months, hoping it would be sufficient.

My lawn started dying. I knew I had to replace the weaker pump. I returned the 3/4hp and got a 2hp.

I hook it up. Pump seems to run as intended, but no water is coming up now. Tried priming pump several times, it just pumps out all the water I added to the pump. Doesn’t seem to suck anything from the well.

My questions are:
Is it possible my new 2hp pump is too powerful? Seems silly, but I don’t know.
Could my well be dry? I don’t think so as it seemed to be pumping fine with the 3/4hp pump.
Would a bad check valve fail in the closed position? Clogging the suction line?
There is a union on the suction line. I’ve read this could cause an air leak, but would it leak enough to where the pump couldn’t produce any water at all?

Please help

Rate this thread