You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DallasJW

Unregistered

Thursday, May 3rd 2018, 9:49pm

Self Winterization Head By Head Using Flow-Stop

So I am aware of the issues associated with trying to make up for low volume with high pressure when using an air compressor to blow out a system. I am curious however, if anyone has tried or has thoughts on the following:

Using heads with flow-stop, like on the I-20,
Turn off the flow to each sprinkler head,
One by One, for each head that is at a pipe end, open the flow stop
Then, use a consumer level air compressor to blow out the water with a decent size tank (i.e. no mini or pancakes)

Then, for sprays or rotatory nozzles, a person could replace the nozzle with a plugged version.

People may argue that it isn't worth it for the loss of convenience... but I would beg to differ, saving ~ 65 dollars per year and only dealing with the "hassle" once per year would quickly pay for the I-20's (at least in my yard) and an air compressor.. Obviously, it would depend on the situation.

Thanks,

Dallas

RichMoney

Friday, May 25th 2018, 11:52pm

I used small air compressors, all you need to do is turn the system off then let it fill with air pressure, then turn a zone one. It will begin to take longer and longer to pressurize the system, but it will work. No need to turn the heads off.
rich@sprinklerresource.com

Rate this thread