You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

kjoseph270

Starting Member

Wednesday, May 2nd 2018, 1:34pm

Well Irrigation - Pump off but water still flows through system?

Hi all, newbie here that is stumped!

First of all here's my system: I have a well irrigation setup (Florida) with a manual shut-off at the well, goes to a check-valve, then the pump, a ball valve for shut off after the pump, and a 4-zone indexing valve.

The problem: water "seeps" through the system at low pressure when the pump is off, just enough to trickle out of the sprinkler heads at the end of each zone, resulting in a wet yard and sidewalk if I leave the ball valve open. That's great if I want to manually water my yard all the time, just turn the ball valve...but I can't run on the controller automatically, since the water would seep constantly if left open.

I just replaced the check valve with a new one and then swapped the hydraulic shut off valve (after the pump) with a ball valve. I though the check valve might be the problem but the same thing happens after replacement. Could it be the hydraulic shut off valve is still needed after the pump? I looked at a few of my neighbors' systems and they all have a manual ball-valve setup just as I described so am thinking that's not the problem.

My other idea is that there is still enough pressure coming from the well that the check-valve doesn't close all the way, but I'm not sure how to fix that, other than shut the well valve almost all the way off? Could the well-valve be bad?

Hoping some one can help! Thanks!!

KJ

Rate this thread