You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

CoronadoisDead

Starting Member

Tuesday, May 1st 2018, 9:16pm

Water in valve boxes, can anyone identify these valves? Any other suggestions?

Hello:

Had a local irrigation company come out today and start up my irrigation system. We've had the house for 5 years and never turned it on so I wanted a professional to get it up and running the first time.

Well, after he left and I ran a cycle, I noticed some water in the 3 valve boxes that I could fine (I have 6 zones so I know I am missing a few somewhere...).

Seeing the water in the boxes, I went to check my water meter and sure enough the leak detector was spinning. It was at a rate of 10gal. per hour. So I killed the supply line to the irrigation system and the leak detector was stationary.

These are what my valves look like:

I have 2 like this by the backflow preventer:

#mce_temp_url#

And this one is out in the yard:

#mce_temp_url#

I am thinking of popping the solenoids and jar tops off and cleaning the diaphragms, but in case I need new parts I'd love to know what these things actually are. Also, since the pots they are in are not FULL of water, but the tops the valves are really wet probably leads to a solenoid leak, right?

Random question: that first pic seems to have a PVC connection oon the right, and just a clamped hose on the right? I have to be seeing that wrong, right???

Thanks for any help!

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 1st 2018, 11:33pm

Here's the first valve
The second valve might be this , I can't really see it.
And nope you're not seeing things. That hose is the lateral line.
I wouldn't automatically thing solenoid leak. The irrigation guy probably turned the valves on and off with the bleeder screw.