You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Febco 765 failure

Unregistered

Friday, June 8th 2018, 7:07am

Febco 765 failure

X( X( I have a Febco 765. The FEBCO 765 top screw in section failed & the top blew off. Water blew out the top for 4 hours, before it was discovered. The sprinkler company put the Febco 765 next to our house and a basement window. Basement flooded with over 4 inches of water. Do these fail & the top blow off? Is this common?

BackflowInspector

Supreme Member

Friday, June 8th 2018, 11:04am

They are designed to fail in a freeze situation to blow out the plastic parts with out damaging the brass. It is common in a hard freeze situation for the Febco 765 to fail this way. It is important to try to prevent this from freezing.

Also, I know these are easy to fix. I fix plenty. I see Irrigation companies and project owners fix the leak.

But, these are supposed to be inspected by a licensed backflow prevention assembly tester.

ONLY through an Inspection with Differential Pressure Gauges can you determine that the check valve is not holding.

If the check valve is not holding you simply fixed an expensive piece of pipe that is not leaking water but not providing backflow prevention as the manufacture had designed it.

Reasons the check valve could fail

Product could be flawed coming from the distributor.

Upon charging the line with water or opening the supply to the valve the check and spring/retainer may not have seated properly.

Never inspected upon installation and debris is in the line, pvc shavings, copper shavings, Teflon, rocks, mulch, broken pieces of pipe, lizards, Glue/PVC Solvent.

Inspected and passed upon installation but repaired later and the repair was not done correctly or debris got in the line.

Or sometimes the check disc rubber simply wears out.

I am just saying.

:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:
LI0006121, BPAT0011021, CI0009500

Rate this thread