You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

vrathi

Starting Member

Friday, February 2nd 2018, 1:32pm

Ways of controlling automatic irrigation system

Hi! I would be interested in your experience in ways of controlling (semi or fully automated) irrigation system of a small or medium garden. Do you prefer a classical (inexpensive) control unit (such as the Hunter X-Core series) with a manual timer setting on the unit, or you've tried some more sophisticated solutions including a way you can set and change irrigation times, or including "more" automation by connection to more sensors? If so, in which solution do you see benefits?

I used a manual starter with a simple built-in timer, but it did not suit me due to the need for greater variability of irrigation terms, nor did the classical unit satisfy me. Later, I have designed and created my own solution. The control unit has no controll buttons and it is located in an isolated box near the valves (due to location it is easier to connect the water level meter and the soil humidity sensor). I communicate with the unit wirelessly using my cell phone and I can set routine irrigation terms and also one-time terms. The set irrigation times are automatically turned off if the soil is wet. The control solution ove the app is similar to the classic Android alarm clock. I have tested it for one season so far and now I try to compare the features and look at what can be improved yet. Now I am also interested in your opinions about that.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, February 4th 2018, 9:46am

A great number of people got there ahead of you.

wateryourworld

Unregistered

Tuesday, February 6th 2018, 1:21am

Controller

I agree with you, location matter for connecting water level meter as well as humidity too.

jtdaling

Unregistered

Saturday, April 28th 2018, 12:57pm

OpenSprinkler

Hi!

I wrote open source irrigation software that can turn a 35 dollar computer into a 'smart' sprinkler controller.
The software is based on agricultural research to conserve water (in dry areas).

The software is controlled via a website and has multiple settings per zone (valve) such as irrigation type (drip or sprinkler), plant type, maximum windspeed etc.

The software gets weather data from the internet and calculates the daily average temperature.
It will look up the growth rate for the selected plant and calculates the irrigation amount.
Under- or overirrigation and rainfall in the past week is compensated and any forecasted rainfall is substracted from the irrigation amount.

The homepage will show today's irrigation progress and irrigation amounts per valve for the past week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, month and year.

After installing, the software is very easy to use and it has been well tested.

The project is open source, runs on Linux (like your navigation, TV, router etc etc.) and requires a 35 dollar raspberry pi and a relaisboard to function.

So far I have been running the project by myself and any suggestions, tips and comments are welcome!

The software can be downloaded via: https://jtdaling.github.io/OpenIrrigation
The page includes installation instructions and additional information about the project.
Since the project is open source it is fully free to use.

Rate this thread