You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 9:04am

With 1 inch pipe you dont want to exced 18 gpm. So my advise is to check what your system does rith now(GPM) and go from there. If you are only getting 12 gpm then goin to 18 gpm is a 50 percent increase. Just check to see what you are getting now.
Thanks,

Pete

gregory1420

Advanced Member

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 10:23am

how can i see how much i am getting right now?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 12:15pm

You can discharge the entire flow of the pump into a five gallon bucket, while keeping an eye on the pressure gauge, and your wristwatch. If the bucket fills in 20 seconds, the flow is 15 gpm. Simple.

gregory1420

Advanced Member

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 12:45pm

i remember doing that when i installed the system if i remember correctly it took maybe 15 seconds.....

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 1:15pm

Do it again. Do it through a valve that's partially closed. Get numbers for different pressures, from 20 psi up beyond 50 psi. That gives you test data for your particular combination of well and pump. And for those lowest pressures, you may get flow numbers that can tell you whether a larger pump is feasible.

gregory1420

Advanced Member

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 1:30pm

got ya,,when i did it .it was right out of the well maybe 1' from where the well pipe comes out ..will do it again and see what i come up with

gregory1420

Advanced Member

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 2:04pm

to answer your question wet boots i can open 2 zones at a time but the psi just drops and the zones don't spray that far b/c of the pressure loss.....

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 14th 2007, 4:05am

If you perform the 'bucket test' at 50 psi, then you should get an idea of the gpm used by the existing system. Perform it at lower pressures (as low as possible, even) and you can see how much extra water the existing pump can push. This extra testing is more useful when looking at bumping up from a 1/2 or 3/4 horse pump, than a one horse, but do the work anyway, and keep a record of the results.

gregory1420

Advanced Member

Wednesday, February 14th 2007, 12:59pm

i will do some checking..........i was looking at my k-rain nozzle chart and they seem to (according to the chart)throw water futher then the hunter i-20 what gives with that how can k-rain nozzle throw water futher at the same psi then a hunter I-20 ?

gregory1420

Advanced Member

Wednesday, February 14th 2007, 1:31pm

well i dug up my old sprinkler design info and when i did the old 5 gallon bucket test i came up with 18gpm so i could go with a 25gpm pump and that would almost be a 50% increase if i did that would that also increase my sprinkler line pressure or only the flow?

Rate this thread