You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DunDi

Unregistered

Thursday, November 16th 2017, 5:52am

Hookup Order - Backflow->Regulator->Filter->Valve

Every manufacturer's dripline setup guide or drip kit shows the filter and regulator installed after the valve output side. What is the reason for this configuration (besides some filters not being capable of handling supply line pressures) If one were to connect a regulator and filter on the supply line side of the valve they could save money by not having to buy filter's and regulators for every valve.

I've had my lower garden drip system hooked up for 4 months with this configuration (Shutoff Valve-> 140psi rated filter-> Automatic globe valve) with no problems so far. Will I have problems in the future with this setup? The reason I'm asking is because I'm installing another set of valves on a much bigger design and I would prefer not to make a costly mistake. Right now my preferred setup would be (Shutoff-> Backflow-> Regulator-> Filter-> AutoValve).

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, November 21st 2017, 5:20pm

Some filters are not durable enough to withstand water hammer from a valve downstream of them, so the safest configuration is what gets recommended.

Rate this thread