You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

AlL

Monday, October 9th 2017, 9:59am

FEBCO 765 Retainer & Check Assembly Breaking

I just sent an email to FEBCO concerning this, but thought I'd ask here as well.

Every year when I blow out the irrigation system I find that the little tabs on the retainers break off, as do the legs on the check assembly because of corrosion in the FEBCO 765 BFP. So, I'm wondering if FEBCO make stainless steel Retainers for the 765 BFP instead of the bronze/brass material? Same question applies for the "legs" on the check assembly.
When they break off they frequently lodge themselves in the diaphragm seal & cause valve leakage. I have purchased some 0.038” stainless steel sheet stock and plan on making some Retainers, but would prefer to purchase from FEBCO if they do make them. Does anyone know if FEBCO, or alternate source makes these components in stainless steel for the ¾” 765 BFP?

PS I have a PH Neutralizing system to control the PH to 7.0 in my well water, so the corrosion shouldn't be caused by the water, unless there are certain minerals in the water that could cause this. Yet, having the water tested several times over the past 20 years with no negative results would also suggest that minerals are not the problem.

I would appreciate your comments as this is expensive having to replace these costly little components every year.

BackflowInspector

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 10th 2017, 7:38am

Ok,
First I understand your frustration.
Second, You may want to pull out those parts before your winterize the system or take them out all together for the winter.
Third, They are probably breaking from high pressure or water hammer situation.
Fourth, Don't Modify any parts for the backflow preventer as you will void any protections and warranty for the Backflow Preventer.

If you are unhappy with the Febco 765, buy a Watts 800M4, Wilkins 720A, or Apollo PVB4A. I personally prefer the Watts 800M4 and Apollo PVB 4A because they have replaceable seats for the check valve.

Good Luck.
:thumbup: :thumbsup:
LI0006121, BPAT0011021, CI0009500

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 10th 2017, 12:11pm

If you are concerned with blowing air through the backflow preventer, then use an air connection downstream of the backflow preventer, even if it means you have to plumb it in. Any PVB can be manually drained of water, without air applied to it.

AlL

Tuesday, October 10th 2017, 5:04pm

You're right I would have to plumb it in, but is it downstream or upstream of the PVB?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 11th 2017, 9:52pm

I'm wondering why someone would use treated water for lawn irrigation. Is there something about that water that is harmful to plant life?