You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DallasJW

Unregistered

Friday, September 1st 2017, 7:40pm

Rainbird 5000 vs Hunter PGP vs RPS75 vs MP Rotator and Red vs Blue Nozzles.

So here's my take on some information I never really found in one location regarding the "best" rotor and some just good general information IMO.

Rainbird 5000: These seemed to be more difficult to set and install than the Hunter PGP. The stops are sort of sloppy, and the whole rotor wants to spin when you try to screw and unscrew it from its base. For example, when you try to unscrew it in the clockwise direction, it will spring back in the counter clockwise direction.

When water is flowing through it, it also feels less lubricated by the water than the PGP, hard to explain, but you can sort of feel the water create some resistance in the PGP while you cannot in the Rainbird. When you try to turn the nozzle by hand it doesn't seem to like it, although it returns fairly close to its original stops. These do have a feature that flushes the top of the head including the adjustment screws when it is turned off which is a nice feature. (although once installed, i don't think you will end up ever touching them much again)

I bought these because I wanted a slight change of pace (literally) from my majority of PGPs. I installed these as center circles. They turn quite a bit faster than the PGP. However, with 1.5 gpm low angle nozzles, one of the two heads I purchased moves in a jerking motion in one direction. This may have something to do with the fairly low flow on the nozzle... but another issue that you never see in the ~50 PGP's i have installed and hundreds I have witnessed.

I also purchased these with the flow stop feature, it is truly a flow STOP and not a flow control (found on some K-rain heads). It is a quarter turn to turn off, quarter turn to turn on with really no options to keep it somewhere in the middle (not enough resistance).

Hunter PGP: Easier to set than the Rainbird, the stops are very "certain" and if you turn the head by hand (without forcing past the stop) it returns to its exact original stops without question and doesn't seem to mind being turned by hand. The gearing feels very solid and when you unscrew it from the base, the whole thing doesn't "mushily" move around.

What I don't like about both the 5000 and the PGP is that one of the stops cannot really be set, you need to pre-set the right stop before burying it. Then after burying it, I like to leave the top exposed so it can be unscrewed and rotated if needed until I have ran the system a few times.

MP Rotator: By far, the easiest to install and has the least amount of misting compared to a rotor (with low GPM nozzles) or spray. These are easy to install because if you use a hunter body, you can set both the right and left stops, as opposed to a typical rotor. (I learned this after installing all of them.) Also, they come with FLUSHING HEADS, so really easy!!!

You set the left by gripping the stem of the riser and twisting, the right is set by rotating the head of the rotator. I agree with Hunter's claim that they save water, even the short radius nozzles have large droplets (with the MP3500 having HUGE droplets), so they are much less affected by wind and do not mist.

The downsides of the MP rotator are that they are "louder" compared to a standard rotor... They making a constant hissing noise. However, traditional rotors are typically loud at start up if you do not order them with a check valve as air will flow at startup.

Also, while automatic matched preciptation is generally a nice thing, it can hinder you from doing extra customization in sunnier and shadier areas because you don't have the option to swap nozzles, only for closer head spacing.

RPS75: Just thought i would mention I have tried 5 of these, seem much like a PGP. I have had one fail after a year. The rest have made it over 5 now.

Red vs Blue Nozzles: I believe people when they say that the red PGP nozzles were the original and correct way to do a nozzle and the blues were the answer to Rainbirds "rain curtain". The blues and the Rainbird nozzles do have more coverage right at the head, but it seems like it is too much and could easily wash away new seed. I think you are best off with red nozzles if you do your head to head coverage right, blues might be good if you are trying to retrofit a system with poor head to head coverage. The PGP blues and Rainbirds seem very similar.

Rate this thread