You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Delson

Unregistered

Wednesday, August 30th 2017, 12:46pm

Need Help! Looking for 18-24" light spray head

Hi, I recently set up an irrigation zone for some herbs i planted in a raised bed. The depth of the bed varies between 18-24". I setup 1/2" risers throughout the center of the bed but am having trouble finding spray heads to put on the risers. I first tried 360 bubblers from home depot, but they were dumping too much water. Then I put on some 2" pop up 360 sprinklers with adjustable 4' range. I dialed down to spray to the shorter distance, but at that short the spray becomes all erratic and doesn't give me full coverage....and it's also dumping wayy too much water, I'm getting a lot of pooling. I really want something I can screw onto the 1/2" riser, with 360 coverage, sprays up to 24" and is adjustable down, and is a light spray....almost a mist, so that I can just run it longer but get good full coverage and let it soak in, instead of flood.

Anyway if anyone has any suggestions of something out there it would be beyond appreciated!

Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 31st 2017, 9:59am

Drip irrigation is the preferred method of dealing such a small space. There does exist one spray head that can water a 2x6 foot strip, when it's set on the side of the bed. The Toro 2SST puts out a very fine spray. So fine, that it requires an auxiliary stainless steel screen to be added to the usual fine-mesh nozzle filter. Even then, the nozzle may clog and you will need replacements. You can find the 2SST easily enough if you search, but the stainless screens are not in their usual catalogs and price lists, being that it is listed as a part and not as finished goods. The screen has a catalog number of 89-5548.

If you already have the center risers installed, there is another approach to consider. Old-fashioned brass center-strip nozzles would toss water straight up and out like a fan, to fall back down to cover the strip. Since these old-style nozzles were designed to cover a 4x20 strip, you would be dialing them way down to fit them to a 2-foot-wide strip, and maybe having to check and recheck the adjustments. These nozzles require their own specific adapters because they do not match modern plastic nozzle threads.

Rate this thread