You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

earleib

Monday, August 28th 2017, 2:20pm

Repairing a Rain Bird E-3 controller

I have a Rain Bird E-3 controller that doesn't hold it's memory any longer. There is supposed to be a "Super Capacitor" on the circuit board that holds the memory and I have no problem replacing this but I need to know which one it is (where it's located) and the value of it.
Thanks
earleib

mrfixit

Monday, August 28th 2017, 11:44pm

So you're saying the controller works for a while then the display goes blank? Or you always have a display and you can run it manually from the controller but the programming resets?
manual

earleib

Tuesday, August 29th 2017, 10:57am

Repairing a Rain Bird E-3 controller

The display does not go blank...I have no problem programming my controller and it works fine until there is a power interruption/outage. Then I loose all programming and the screen goes back to 1996 the default date. I can run it manually if I wanted to. It just looses the program that was setup.

mrfixit

Tuesday, August 29th 2017, 1:23pm

Ok gotcha. I thought maybe there was a short or a bad transformer.

I don't think you'll be able to fix the problem. That controller's very old. They're basically disposable. But I understand where you're coming from. My cordless drills manuals say, "unrepairable". They don't make them anymore and they're nowhere on the net. Not even Ebay. So I took one apart. Sent the batteries off to North Carolina and had some battery packs made. I'm a happy camper again.

I don't know of one person who's ever done what you're attempting and I've never seen a schematic. I don't think there is one. But there is probably some genius out there who knows what to look for. Maybe send a pic of the circuit board to an expert and see if they can spot it for you.

It might be easier to buy a new model.

Rate this thread