You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

hrtbreaker

Unregistered

Wednesday, August 16th 2017, 7:55pm

Water continuing to run after controller off

Greetings,

I have a 13 year old Toro sprinkler system in Mn. I am the second owner of the home.

There are 8 zones. 6 are pop-up rotator heads and 2 are drip irrigation.

I replaced the Toro controller with a Rachio controller.

All zones are working. While mowing the lawn on Monday, I found a spot in my lawn in which the grass was floating.
This is just downhill from where my drip irrigation line terminates.

The Rachio hadn't watered for a week due to rain and climate changes (it said the lawn hadn't dried out).

I checked my water meter and water was running. I made sure the Rachio was off and then turned off the water shutoff for the irrigation and the water meter stopped spinning.

I read online that a valve is probably stuck. The super weird thing is that there is only 1 small round irrigation box buried in the yard (that I know about). I popped off the cover and there is a bunch of wiring and appears to only be 1 valve.

How can an 8 zone irrigation system only have 1 valve? I've searched the rest of the yard and cannot find any other buried irrigation boxes.

On Wednesday night, I turned the shutoff back on and ran all 8 zones. The zones all ran fine and seemed to shut off fine. I don't hear any water running from the drip zone just uphill from the floating grass. (I can hear it when it's running). With all the zones off, I checked the water meter and it continues to spin.

I pulled the shutoff for the irrigation system and the meter stops running.

What could be the problem? Is this too complicated for a DIY'er?

Thank you for your help

mrfixit

Thursday, August 17th 2017, 12:43am

What do you mean by "floating grass'"?
Do you mean the grass is soaking wet or is it actually rising up like a bubble?

A bubble would indicate a broken mainline, wet grass could also be a cracked or broken main. Could be a valve box there with a leaky valve.

You probably have 8 valves.

I'd turn the water back off, let it soak in, turn the water back on and watch very carefully where the water first surfaces, dig there and see where it's coming from.

Is it coming out of a sprinkler head? Then it's the valve. I've seen leaks travel down gopher holes long distances from the break.

Rate this thread