You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

tbplayer

Sunday, August 6th 2017, 3:19pm

Solenoid buzzes, and then hear water rushing

I've searched online for a few days and haven't found an answer to this one, so trying here.

I've got one zone that is not working.

When I try to run it, I hear a buzzing noise, which I'm guessing is the solenoid? And I hear some gurgling noises out of the sprinkler heads, as if the water is trying to get up there.

And then when I turn it off, I hear water rushing somewhere. And after that, when I look in the solenoid box, it is full of water.

It is really odd. Has anyone ever heard of that before?

Thanks.

mrfixit

Sunday, August 6th 2017, 3:28pm

A buzzing solenoid isn't anything to worry about. Some buzz louder than others.

You don't happen to have anti-syphon valves down in that box do you? So it's draining back into the box after the valve shuts off.

Could be a break in the line somewhere. It sounds like it wouldn't be that far away from the box.

tbplayer

Sunday, August 6th 2017, 6:34pm

Okay, I had to look that up, and yes, I have something that visually matches anti-syphon on those valves.

So, what's happening is water is running up to the break in the pipe, pushing some air through, which is the gurgling I hear, and then when I cut the power, the pressure reverses, and the water that was running up the pipe to the break runs back into the box.

THAT makes sense.

And I suspect I know where the break is - because I've got some soft topsoil in an area just behind the retaining wall about 6 or so feet away, and last time I ran it, I saw a wet spot seep through the bricks in about that same area.

So - I guess I know where to dig.

Rate this thread