You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.



Posts: 28

Location: USA


Wednesday, June 28th 2006, 9:52am

Recommended Lawn Sprinkler Controllers

I have installed and operated all the various professional series controllers from all the major manufacturers. I would like to share my recommendations for choices in controllers.

<b>For the Highest Quality controller with all the features you will need (Top Of The Line):</b>
1. Hunter ICC-800-Pl (modular controller to allow expansion)
2. Rain Bird ESP-?LXi (indoor model) or ESP-?LX (outdoor model) - replace the ? with the number of stations you need (example: ESP-12LXi is a 12 station controller)

<b>For a Quality controller with a lot of features and expandability:</b>
1. Hunter PC-300i (indoor model) or PC-300 (outdoor model)
2. Rain Bird ESP-4Mi (indoor model) or ESP-4M (outdoor model)

<b>For a Quality controller with a lot of features:</b>
1. Irritrol RD?plus-INT (indoor model) or RD?plus-EXT (outdoor model) - replace the ? with the number of stations you need (example: RD9plus-INT is a 9 station controller)
2. Hunter SRC-600i, or SRC-900i (indoor models)
3. Rain Bird ESP-4TM, ESP-6TM, or ESP-8TM (indoor models)

<b>What is the difference in an INDOOR and an OUTDOOR model controller?</b>
The Indoor models come with a plug in transformer and plug, which allows you to plug the controller directly into the wall electrical outlet. Indoor models also are designed to be installed somewhere that protects the controller from the outside elements. They can be installed in the garage, basement, house, business, pump house, shed, etc.

The outdoor models have an internal transformer and need to either be hardwired to the electrical supply or if you want to be able to plug the controller directly into an electrical outlet you will need to purchase an 16/3 CSA Approved wire with a 3 prong plug (commonly called a pigtail cord). The reason the controller does not come with a plug is that since it is assumed the controller will be used outside in the weather, it is assumed that you will be "hard wiring" the electrical supply to the controller instead of having it plugged into an outlet that may get wet from rain or snow and cause electrical problems.

An outdoor model controller is also built to have a protective door and weather seals to protect the controller from the outside elements.

Outdoor controllers can be used in an indoor location if you want the features and quality of a particular outdoor model controller such as a Hunter ICC-800-pl controller. Again you would just purchase a "conduit body & cover" and a "pigtail" plug when you purchase the controller. This is an extremely common practice.

I would select one of the controllers listed above to assure you end up with a quality "Easy-To-Use or Simple-To-Program" controller that should last you for years to come. I would only select a cheaper base model controller if you are only concerned about cost and not "Ease of Use".

All of these items can be found at:

Rate this thread