You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Kosmo

Tuesday, July 25th 2017, 2:30pm

New System - Need Help

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum. Basically what I have is a 4 Zone system, I have used the Orbit 1" valves, a Rachio brain, and rainbirds for the heads. I seem to continually run into an issue where I get all 4 zones going, then after a couple days, my side or front yard start failing me. It feels like an air lock issue because once I loosen the solenoid or the bleed screw, air puffs out, then water, then everything works. I tighten back up and then I'm good for a couple days. I just talked to rainbird about changing to their values, maybe get something with a flow control on it because I thought maybe I had too much pressure, but they led me to believe it could be a water hammer issue? Does that sound correct? In which case I guess I'll start with installing a hammer arrestor?

Please let me know your thoughts. I'm pretty good with computers and what not, so if you would like me to post pictures of the landscape and/or videos what I'm doing to trouble shoot, just ask!

Thank you in advance!

mrfixit

Wednesday, July 26th 2017, 12:10am

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you have a water hammer issue.
The Orbit valves are pretty crappy valves. Replacing them with the Rainbird ASV is a viable option. The ports are a very similar distance apart. I'm assuming you have anti-syphon valves. I'm not sure why.
If they're inlines, go with the IIrritrol 2500.
My only issue with the Rainbird anti-syphon valve is that it makes a squealing/grunting sound when it shuts off. It totally annoys me. No other valve makes this sound. It's a solid valve though. I just can't take the noise. It only lasts 1 second though.

Having air trapped in the system isn't a normal thing that I see. Where is your water supply from? City water? River? Well?

Kosmo

Wednesday, July 26th 2017, 2:28pm

I am on city water. So the Irritrol 2500 is better than the ASV? I dont have a strong allegiance at this point. I just want it working :( I already bought some new piping/heads to try a different design to see if that is the cause. I just can't understand why I have such an inconsistent problem. I know the water supply is lower than a couple of the zones, but I can't imagine I'm the first person to ever have that happen to the point that the air can't escape... Yes, I have 1" threaded inline Orbit valves right now. Let me know which one you recommend the most between the ASV or the 2500 and I'll get them ordered. Willing to try anything right now to avoid digging up old lines and installing new ones.

Thanks!

mrfixit

Wednesday, July 26th 2017, 8:27pm

Since you have inlines I'd go with the 2500's.
Make sure it isn't just loose wires. Even still the Orbits stink.
Ignore what I said about the ASV's.

Kosmo

Thursday, July 27th 2017, 1:12pm

Haha will do! Yeah I thought about the wires, I checked all and I'm getting the correct readings at the controllers and the valve, so I'm pretty confident that isn't the case. I'll get some of these 2500s ordered and see if that's the trick!

Rate this thread