You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

adpine

Starting Member

Tuesday, July 18th 2017, 10:09am

Sprinkler heads pop up and down

I installed 2 new 3/4" Hunter sprinker valves in my yard. on one of them if i turn it on manually the sprinklers works fine. if i use my timer to turn it on the valve makes a terrible noise and the sprinkler heads pop up and down constantly. water seems to come out one side of the valve while its doing this. as mentioned if i turn the sprinkler manually it works fine but if i barely turn it on i can hear the same noise as when its turned on by the timer

I have tried turning the flow adjustment but it doesnt seem to change the flow or help the situation

my timer is pretty new and i've never had a problem with it so i suspect the new valve

any help would be appreciated

mrfixit

Tuesday, July 18th 2017, 10:36am

I don't know if a Hunter valve can be turned on manually if installed backwards. Check and see if the solenoid is on the outlet side.
If it installed correctly, I'd take it apart and look for debris. Make sure all the ports are clear. What you're describing is highly unusual for a new valve.

Maybe switch the wire at the controller to a slot you know works just to rule out the timer. I'd do this before looking for debris.

It's possible you've bought a lemon.

Rate this thread